Camera for my totally NON-techie Sister?

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a redundant question, I searched but didn't see any like it.

So, my sister seems to have had some money taken from her home so I want to get her a network camera that will send her emails with images when the motion detection sensor is triggered. I know that Foscam and Amcrest cameras have this capability but... the clincher is that she lives 1200 miles from me and is basically technology illiterate. No way she'd be able to get through setting up port forwarding/VPN setup. She really would need a Plug and Play setup if there is such a thing.

I looked at Sotion and their cameras are super easy to get setup for both at home and at work, but.... they don't forward images to email.

Does anyone know of a PTZ camera that's portable that's easy setup (no port forwarding/VPN setup) and sends email alerts with images? She runs windows on her PC's and Android on her phone. 1080p would be more than enough for this application

So, here's what I'd like to get her if possible.

1. EASY setup
2. Email images upon triggering
3. PTZ
4. Night vision
5. 1080p minimum
6. WiFi so she could move it to different rooms
7. Record to Micro SDHC
8. Remote access to live view or recorded images/video

How's that for a list?? lol

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Steve

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Steve - your list is pretty big, and you may want to prioritize - get something running to start and add to it. My brother lives 1000 miles away, and I sent him a networking package that had labels on everything, I preconfigured everything, and I included step by step instructions. That didn't work out.

I also think you should ditch the portable camera idea. All cams need to be plugged in for power, so a wifi camera still has a cord.

I would be looking into some of the bigger name kit designed for mass market - netatmo / nest. If you are serious about PTZ and some of the other stuff, then I would hire an installer.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that pretty much was the conclusion I was coming to as well after searching all over creation. The Amcrest probably comes closest but does require port forwarding setup, otherwise, it fits the bill pretty well.

Reaction score
Oh, and as for WiFi/portable - I understand they all require power but not an ethernet cable to be tethered to the router. So that would enable her to move it easily from room to room depending on what's going on. Maybe I'll just get her an Amcrest and find someone up there to setup PF...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy her a safe, have a locksmith install it for her. ;)

The Hikvision Cube would fit the bill. Have it sent to you, you set it up and configure it best you can.
Remotely log into her computer, and access her router, and set it up accordingly.
Then ship the cam to her. Make sure all the T's are crossed and i's dotted.

One of us here would be glad to assist remotely if you don't want to tackle the router.

Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

Wholesale hikvision cube - Buy Low Price hikvision cube Lots on Aliexpress.com

Reaction score
LOL - thanks looney2ns... We'd like to find out who's doing it though. My nephew will handle things from there. ;)

That would probably work I suppose. I looked at Foscam and Amcrest which have the features but you must setup PF or VPN. Then Tried Sotion, they don't require PF or VPN setup but they lack features. I was hoping to find a blend of the two. Looked everywhere and was grasping at straws hoping someone here knew of such a thing.

Reaction score
I have been using reolink c2 for a couple of months and it's really proven to be an effective solution. Given what you said in the post, I think it might just fit your needs.

EDIT BY FENDERMAN: (I am a korean spammer)

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using reolink c2 for a couple of months and it's really proven to be an effective solution. Given what you said in the post, I think it might just fit your needs.

The link: Reolink C2 1440p PTZ WiFi Indoor Security IP Camera – Reolink Store
reolink junk and the company has outright lied in the past. Avoid at all costs. Thanks for posting so others can be made aware of this terrible brand. I have confirmed you are a spammer. Let your bosses at reolink know that this is going to make things much worse for them.