Camera for sky activity?

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would be interested in a camera to point upwards to capture the sky for:
  • weather
  • astronomical events
  • plane activity
Something wide angle ideally, although have to weight that against ability to get detail (e.g. on small planes flying near by) ... might get an ADS-B receiver.
Not sure if anything would be good enough to capture night time astronomical stuff of interest with any useable resolution, but that's OK if not.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice but I can tell that will be out of my price just by looking at it!

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy on here sells it for around $500USD. It is the cheapest of those type of positional cameras that can look straight up.

The commercial pro versions are much more expensive.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
A normal PTZ not easy to install to watch the sky, Maybe just a bullet camera with high resolution.
Like IPC-HFW2831T-ZS
Or use the PTZ that @CrusaderNZ recommend, we will have discount at black friday, maybe can make a checking.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Key to getting great sky pictures at night is to allow a camera to utilize its full exposure and gain ranges.

This is my favorite for low light (stars, for example), but right now Andy doesn't have any of the widest angle (2.8mm) on amazon. If interested you would need to ask him directly.

This one is 8MP and cheaper than the varifocal version mentioned above. Not as good in low light as the 2MP but still able to see the stars.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.