camera for very low light/no light

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for a camera that operates in low light/no light conditions. Helping out a family member with a baby and an existing IP camera connected to a synology system. The current camera is fine with some light, but they are wanting to train the baby to sleep with less light/no lights.

They would like to stick with synology since it is already setup on their network, storage options are set and all phones/devices are currently working.

Budget is $250 (USD) or less. I have looked at hikvision, but I have seen these cameras at night and they can be grainy, with that being said, I never focused on low light/no light when buying the hikvisions. I'd like to go with a dome camera, but I am open to options. I like dome cameras due to the ease of mounting/positioning/adjusting. Also, I'd probably have to take the dome off because most of the time IR bounces off of the lens and causes the image to be over-exposed.

Any recommendations for those with low light/no light experience?

Thank You.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got a Eco Starlight Varifocal Bullet on the way.. so im not done yet ;)

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use Grandstream cameras that have IR night capability. IR cameras have a set of IR emitters (looks like LEDs) round the lens. At night these cover the dark room in IR, which the camera can see. The image goes gray scale in night mode, but it's sharp and clear.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) is excellent for your budget or even better but a little ways out of your budget is the Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z) and they offer this in a dome version.

Domes w/out domes we call Turrets, they kick ass and are way better than domes in every single way.
I am familiar with turret, PTZ, bullet, etc....I still prefer dome, in my experience, they have the best mounting options. With that being said, I am not an installer and don't do this everyday, only help friends/family and mess with whatever IP camera project we have going on at work.

I will take a look at what you posted. In this current setup, camera style is not that important, crystal clear (or as close as possible) with low light/no light is what is the number 1 priority (with price in mind). I'd be willing to recommend cameras a bit over $250 if the image at night looked great.

Thanks again.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Grandstream cameras that have IR night capability. IR cameras have a set of IR emitters (looks like LEDs) round the lens. At night these cover the dark room in IR, which the camera can see. The image goes gray scale in night mode, but it's sharp and clear.
For the record, yes grayscale is no problem at all, for night time viewing, and I prefer that over color. Sharp/clear is the goal. Thank you.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
turrets are even easier to install than domes, and you get no image distortion or sunburn from the dome its self..

The ultra is going to get you the best image at for the money.. night or day.

or you can get a Dahua Starlight PTZ for starting at ~$350, they have alot more IR and Zoom if your needing high detail at distance.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
turrets are even easier to install than domes, and you get no image distortion or sunburn from the dome its self..

The ultra is going to get you the best image at for the money.. night or day.

or you can get a Dahua Starlight PTZ for starting at ~$350, they have alot more IR and Zoom if your needing high detail at distance.
PTZ isn't needed for this application.

I don't mind turret or bullet, just want to make sure the night image is clear/sharp as can be at that price point.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Come on man stop overselling this model I don't want to spend money not now... I will not buy it, I will not buy it, I will not buy it no no no ... ;-)
@Dodutils When you signed up here, you signed a deal for your soul.....addiction is imminent. IPCAM addicts meeting, every fifth thurs that has a full moon, at @nayr s house @ 9pm. o_O;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a camera that operates in low light/no light conditions. Helping out a family member with a baby and an existing IP camera connected to a synology system. The current camera is fine with some light, but they are wanting to train the baby to sleep with less light/no lights.

They would like to stick with synology since it is already setup on their network, storage options are set and all phones/devices are currently working.

Budget is $250 (USD) or less. I have looked at hikvision, but I have seen these cameras at night and they can be grainy, with that being said, I never focused on low light/no light when buying the hikvisions. I'd like to go with a dome camera, but I am open to options. I like dome cameras due to the ease of mounting/positioning/adjusting. Also, I'd probably have to take the dome off because most of the time IR bounces off of the lens and causes the image to be over-exposed.

Any recommendations for those with low light/no light experience?

Thank You.

Here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Particularly this one: IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
for all of us that are far ,im sure they will make live stream on YT ;)