Camera fried or not?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

We had our roof replaced above where 2 cameras sit. It rained between tearoff and getting all the flashing back up and 2 of the cameras got wet. They are Hikvision 3MP turrets, the rj45 connectors show burns on the jack and the patch cable. The camera also shows the same I replaced the patch and the rj45 jack and tested it. My Zyxel switch shows fault as the port status. I plugged in an old Dahua to test and it comes up without issue.

I am considering cutting the plug off the Hikvision and replacing it since I do not have a power supply to test if the PoE portion is fried or not.

Any suggestions?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I might just upgrade these to the 4MP version. There are a couple sellers on Amazon claiming US versions, but some say they are hacked to be US and updates will revert back to Chinese.

EDIT: I just ordered a DS-2CD2342WD-I from Amazon (SafeGuard Designs) for $113. I used to buy from Wrightwood, but they want over $200 for the same camera. I hope it is really a US version like advertised.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you cut off the female RJ45 connector and replaced that? If not I would attempt that as it could just of fried your jack since you talk about seeing black marks.

Cut off the end and use a keystone jack to replace the old jack, also re terminate the patch cables just to cover bases (I know you said they work). Here is the pinout for HIK so you can quickly/easily replace/rewire the RJ45 jack.

http://www.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2015-06-10/57806a32-51c0-4ae4-b937-384098c12dc8.pdf

Keystone jack example:http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=310

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a photo of your installation and the burned / discolored area.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did redo the previous jacks and replaced the patch cable as well. I have probably 100 cat6 jacks in my stash (probably a couple hundred patch cables as well.) If the new jack works, then I can move the camera to an indoor location to be safe. I need one in the basement anyway ;-)

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post a photo of your installation and the burned / discolored area.
It is dark out now, will try to get a pic this week. I should have a 4MP replacement mid week. I will take it down then and will be able to get a better pic.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like the jack is fried. Probably the same as the other cam, just haven't looked yet.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 4MP seems to be a nice camera, they did change the layout of the GUI though. Took me a while to find everything.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 4MP seems to be a nice camera, they did change the layout of the GUI though. Took me a while to find everything.
is it better than your other camera at night time though or not??

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it better than your other camera at night time though or not??
It is much clearer. We do have a street/security light 90 degrees to the right of it.

It is a lot wider view than the previous camera.
4MP is 2688x1520
3MP is 2048x1536

Last edited:

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are 2 night shots. The top one is the 4MP, the other is just to the right and about 15 feet back, it is a 3MP

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 3MP does look brighter due to the security/street light is right behind the transformer, on the right pole. You can see the shadows on the 4MP side from the light.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, that is with the default settings on the 4MP. Haven't tweaked it yet.