Camera FTP Access Through NVR

Reaction score
Hi guys. A client is wanting to get a still frame from one of their IP cameras to update on their website every 5 minutes. This wouldn't usually be a problem as I can set a camera up to send a still JPEG image to an FTP server and then update the page.

The problem is that the cameras are connected via a Hikvision NVR which puts the cameras on to a different network which doesn't have any internet access. I have tried enabling the Virtual Host option to access the camera's settings from the LAN and set the camera's default gateway to that of the NVR's PoE ports however I still cannot get the FTP client to connect to the server. I also tried connecting to an NTP server from the camera to update the time and this failed as well.

Is there a way of getting the camera to connect to the FTP server? Or does anyone have any suggestions of another way of doing the whole thing?

Thank you!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way of getting the camera to connect to the FTP server? Or does anyone have any suggestions of another way of doing the whole thing?
If you've set the camera default gateway to the IP address of the NVR PoE interface (the default for this is 192.168.254.1) and you have Virtual Host active you have completed 2 of the 3 required settings needed to access the camera directly from the LAN. Which would generally also allow the camera to access the LAN.
The third requirement is to add a static route to your LAN router/gateway so that traffic aimed at the the NVR PoE network doesn't just get sent externally out of the LAN gateway - something like :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (or subnet mask 255.255.255.0) route packets via <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address> as gateway"
You can prove that works by accessing the PoE-connected camera from the LAN at it's native 192.168.254.x address.
And if that works, the configuration will generally also allow the camera to access the LAN, barring any routing quirks.

Reaction score
Im trying to set the default gateway on each of my cameras connected to my NVR but after reboot of the camera the DG is gone. The camera reboots, I am able to ping the camer for maybe 10 or 12 pings then it drops. I login to the camera's interface and the DG is no longer there.

I have a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P, running V4.1.10 build 171107 on the NVR and the cameras are DS-2CD2342WD-I on V5.5.0 build 170725