Camera Height

Akonline

n3wb
Reaction score
I never realised how complicated this was going to be :) I have Synology NAS am going to install two cameras and see how it goes. I have spent ages though messing around with which cameras to get then realising I can't just easily buy from amazon.co.uk the realising half the brands are re-badges and then that some can be Chinese flashed with UK etc. Complete minefield.

Anyway, I have two choices. I can install at the height of the soffit on the front and back or i can do at a lower height. The soffit choice will be easier as it is plastic and the Switch is in the loft so I can probably install reasonably easily. The alternative is I drop the CAT5e cable through the soffit and run it down cable tied to the drain pipe and install in the wall at a lower height. I have no way of drilling through the wall and having the CAT 5e cable come out directly behind the unit on the wall. Not easily anyway.

I guess I am angling towards the soffit but if I do that is there any chance the footage is going to pick up faces from that height in the dark. If not should I be compromising by having the CAT 5e running outside the house.

I accept I am goin to have to pay what it costs and unless someone has a better idea will be ordering from empiretecandy whatever is recommended on this forum. I am relatively convinced in a Dahua but who knows which model :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How high is the soffit location?

Lots of variables, but 7-8ft seems to be a sweet spot for me at the doors and driveway for facial recognition. Any more than that and you get the tops of heads. For an overview cam say watching the backyard or street, higher is fine.

Hard to go wrong with Andy, and as far as the cameras its a pretty safe bet to start with the HDW5231R-Z Starlight turret. All the cool kids have one ;)