Camera http timeout

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have four camera. Astak Mole, SD Foscam and 2 HD Foscams.

I use BI but in the past I have used IP CamPro on my phone.

I have watchdog set up to alert me when a camera loses connection.

Recently my cameras have been losing connection in BI. I say in BI because I can still see them in the IP Cam Pro app.

Restart modem/router will fix it along with restart of BI server but then after some time one or more of the cameras will timeout l.

2 questions

1. What are likely reasons this is happening only in BI and not IP Cam Pro app

2. Where can I see details on the errors so I can troubleshoot in BI or in my router (Nighthawk 1750)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Increase the receive buffer to 20.. Are you running your cameras Wifi? Yourmobile app is viewing the substream and generating a new connection when you start it so it's less likely to be an issue..
This is a common problem with foscam and similar cameras... Particularly on Wifi...

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I am running WiFi.

Where is the receive buffer? I am looking in the BI settings.

I was thinking of getting some POE plugs. Just didn't want to spend a lot to get them. Do you think Poe plugs would be a good option since I have to use wifi? Powerline is still using wifi but that is an option too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am running WiFi.

Where is the receive buffer? I am looking in the BI settings.

I was thinking of getting some POE plugs. Just didn't want to spend a lot to get them. Do you think Poe plugs would be a good option since I have to use wifi? Powerline is still using wifi but that is an option too.

video tab>configuration
Im not sure what you mean by poe plugs...if you use POE you will need to run ethernet to the camera..
Powerline is an alternative to wifi but uses your home electrical wiring.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I meant POE injector.

Doesn't POE plug into an electrical outlet and power as well as supply Ethernet to the camera?So the only Ethernet is from POE to Cam right?

I use Powerline currently. It is just priced than the POE like: TP-LINK TL-POE200 Power over Ethernet Adapter Kit, 1 Injector, 1 Splitter, up to 100 meters (325 Feet), 12/9/5V power output https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UBUB7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_zXluwbT6ARXR1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No with that kit you need an injector at the router and an splitter at the camera. If you are using powerline then where does the wifi come in?

I would not spend 25 dollar on a cheap camera, you are better off using that money towards a better camera with poe built in and much better image quality than the cams you have.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The $25 is for the injector not the camera.

I got your point on the power line. I'll pickup another one to expand on the two I have of the cam needs to be hardwired.

I moved it closer to a access point so let's see if that works

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The $25 is for the injector not the camera.

I got your point on the power line. I'll pickup another one to expand on the two I have of the cam needs to be hardwired.

I moved it closer to a access point so let's see if that works

I understand that its for the injector...my point is you are better off putting that money towards a good camera with poe built in vs spending it on an outdated mjpeg SD camera.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool. I got you. I already have the cameras so I'm using what I have. You recommend Hikvision cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool. I got you. I already have the cameras so I'm using what I have. You recommend Hikvision cams?

Hikvision and dahua are both quality brands that have proven to be reliable and reasonably priced. Avoid foscam/astak and similar cameras like the plague.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appreciate your help. I still need to troubleshoot this issue with the equipment I have. I increased the buffer but issue still persists. I can't get new cameras at this time but will upgrade over time.

Any other suggestions on how to see where the error is coming from?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate your help. I still need to troubleshoot this issue with the equipment I have. I increased the buffer but issue still persists. I can't get new cameras at this time but will upgrade over time.

Any other suggestions on how to see where the error is coming from?

temporarily wire the cameras up with Ethernet..see what happens.