Camera image very dark in PIR mode

Farrina

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I have a residential CCTV setup comprising 9 Trendnet TV-IP311 PI cameras sited both inside and outside my home. The majority were purchased in March 2015 and came with a 3 year warranty

One of the external cameras (mounted horizontally) has been exhibiting significant ghosting in IR mode at night for some time to the extent that is had become unusable. I have tried the usual cleaning of the external housing and also on a number of occasions rechecked that the internal foam ring was appropriately placed against the camera dome.

I decided to replace it and the replacement (same model) has now arrived and been fitted and what a revelation. It has hi-lighted that the PIR quality of other outside cameras has also deteriorated overtime (as with human eyesight with the deterioration being gradual over a period of time) it is only now that I have a new camera that I can appreciate how poor and dark it has become.

To remove the possibility of the issue being in any way caused by the external camera dome I temporarily removed the dome cover on one of the afflicted cameras in the same vicinty as the new camera.

I have uploaded to my OneDrive here snapshot images captured from an existing and brand new camera from which it is readily apparent that despite these cameras being sited in the same locality the images are vastly different. See here

I have approached TrendNet support for assistance but so far beyond obvious cut and paste replies they are not proving helpful.

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem ?

Cheers

Alan

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has come across this problem ?
Suggestion:
At night - take a look at the new, good camera, and the older cameras and pay attention to the dull red glow from the IR LEDs.
You might find that on the older cameras only some of the ring is still working, or maybe they are dim compared with the new one.
If so -
purchased in March 2015 and came with a 3 year warranty
Claim replacements under the warranty.
Even Hikvision cameras are subject to IR LED failures with the old-style individual wired ring construction.

Farrina

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair,

Thanks for the ssuggestion - as best as I can tell the LED's appear lit, although trying to judge their relative brighness is difficult.

However the Front Door Camera image is so poor compared to the new Front Path camera (from which details hundreds of feet away are visible) suggest the issue is much deeperthan just a PIR LED issue.

I'm still working on TrendNet support (hard work, like pulling teeth).

A lot of my cameras (all bought about the same time) have this isue - I am wondering I have a bum batch of sensors

By way of example of my OneDrive here if files cannot be viewed locaally

They are date stamped thus (see watermark in picture)

20/5/2017 22:07 = Image Front Door Camera (Original)
20/5/2017 22:08 = Image Front Door Camera Cover Removed
20/5/2017 22:11 = Image Front Door Camera Cover reattached (after cleaned inside and out)

20/5/2017 22:09 = Image Front Path Camera (the new camera)

Finaly for the record I am located in North West Engand UK - hardly know for its hot brigh summer days.

Attachments