Camera install shaming at Sams Club

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So my local Sams Club just spent the past 8 months remodeling. They installed probably in the neighborhood of 200 new cameras. They all look like a decent job, until you get to this one.
There is space above this cam inside the building that they could have dropped the cable to the cam.
20180519_143556.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So my local Sams Club just spent the past 8 months remodeling. They installed probably in the neighborhood of 200 new cameras. They all look like a decent job, until you get to this one.
There is space above this cam inside the building that they could have dropped the cable to the cam.
View attachment 30700
Welcome to outsourcing to the lowest fixed price bidder.

( I must say I have seen some really crappy work with fixed priced outsourced work... really crappy work )

Reaction score
I feel like that camera was originally supposed to go where the box is (per quote), but once installed the 30-degree field of view only "saw" the pillar, and some chap was like "well this makes me look like a complete idiot", but being a fixed price quote this was all the vendor was willing to absorb cost-wise to move it. :lmao:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to outsourcing to the lowest fixed price bidder.

( I must say I have seen some really crappy work with fixed priced outsourced work... really crappy work )
I hear about such work at our local schools from a friend that has recently taken over their IT duties lately...instead of the dumb-ass contractors.

Yeah, EMT would have been cheaper.

Of course, then there is the new whole building paint job. Within 2 weeks, it was peeling off in large slabs all over the building.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't even understand why these contractors are still using these overpriced garbage cams anyways.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even understand why these contractors are still using these overpriced garbage cams anyways.
A couple reasons i think:
-There are a lot of jobs in various industries that are billed at roughly materials times 2. People are kind of used to this, if you bid a job where labor is 4x materials... good luck
-Companies like bosch, Avigilon, etc, do a better job of standing behind their products and a better job of pretending to care about cyber security.
-They aren't blacklisted from government contracts.
-They are better at writing software interfaces and manuals in English. Leaving a customer with a product with a chinglish interface doesn't inspire confidence.

Last edited:

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A couple reasons i think:
-There are a lot of jobs in various industries that are billed at roughly materials times 2. People are kind of used to this, if you bid a job where labor is 4x materials... good luck
-Companies like bosch, Avigilon, etc, do a better job of standing behind their products and a better job of pretending to care about cyber security.
-They aren't blacklisted from government contracts.
-They are better at writing software interfaces and manuals in English. Leaving a customer with a product with a chinglish interface doesn't inspire confidence.
I wish I can bill my labor 4X materials!!!

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had similar install at a neighborhood store. They had at least 5 different types of analog cameras hanging from the ceiling to include a bullet cam half the size of a cinderblocks. They asked me to do a quote to convert their system to all IP and do a proper Installation. They didn't like the cost of the upgrade and are going to continue to deal with that mess.