Camera IP got hijacked by my Roku

Jeff Basin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I have an Amcrest indoor IP camera and it has been up for a few months but it has gone offline from Blue Iris and even the Amcrest mobile app can't see it. I've even tried to open the IP address in Internet Explorer and that won't even work. I noticed last night in my AT&T router settings that one of my Roku boxes has the same IP address. Is this why my camera went offline and why I can't get it show up anywhere? Either way, can you help a noob out please? Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I have an Amcrest indoor IP camera and it has been up for a few months but it has gone offline from Blue Iris and even the Amcrest mobile app can't see it. I've even tried to open the IP address in Internet Explorer and that won't even work. I noticed last night in my AT&T router settings that one of my Roku boxes has the same IP address. Is this why my camera went offline and why I can't get it show up anywhere? Either way, can you help a noob out please? Thanks!
Sounds like the cam is set for DHCP, needs to be set instead for static or set IP reservation in router. To fix, you need to know at least 1 of these:

1) Do you know the new IP for the cam?
2) Do you know how to log into your router to check IP's doled out by the DHCP server?

Last edited:

Jeff Basin

n3wb
Reaction score
I know the IP address and I'm on the "LAN IP address allocation" page in my router. There is a drop down menu to select dozens of IP addresses. Next to the IP address it says "Private Fixed". I see plenty of YouTube vids on how to assign a static IP address in Windows 10 but not for a device like a camera. Am I misunderstanding something and should be following one of these tutorials?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know the IP address and I'm on the "LAN IP address allocation" page in my router. There is a drop down menu to select dozens of IP addresses. Next to the IP address it says "Private Fixed". I see plenty of YouTube vids on how to assign a static IP address in Windows 10 but not for a device like a camera. Am I misunderstanding something and should be following one of these tutorials?
The cam has embedded software for setup that looks like a web page, hence the standard term "webGUI" or "web Graphical User Interface."

Put the cam's IP address into the URL of browser (IE11 or Palemoon 32bit) like "http://192.168.0.108" or the like and hit <enter>.
A menu should appear prompting for cam's username and password.
When entered properly the Amcrest embedded software should come up and allow you to configure the camera.
Most of this is available on Amcrest support.

Last edited:

Jeff Basin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Pulling my hair out though. I rebooted the camera and used the Amcrest app to create a new camera profile. Problem with that is, the camera will only complete a set-up using the ethernet option and not wifi. Once the profile is created using the ethernet cable, I can see the output of the camera in the Amcrest app. As soon as I disconnect the cable, the camera goes back offline. The WiFi set-up option will not work no matter how many times I try. If it matters, the green light on the back of the camera blinks all the time even after a full factory reset. The only time it stays solid green is when it's connected to the ethernet cable. I have another Amcrest camera (different model) and have no issues with it. Ever. Maybe the camera is just messed up. I have the IP2M-841B.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try with PC and browser instead of using the app, and no profile, no QR code scanning?
Reset cam (again) first.

Jeff Basin

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried it. Reset the camera and it will only show up in the IE browser when connected to ethernet cable. Also since the last time the camera was online, the IP address changed but I understand that's the DCHP issue I also need to tackle once I get this wifi issue solved.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just tried it. Reset the camera and it will only show up in the IE browser when connected to ethernet cable. Also since the last time the camera was online, the IP address changed but I understand that's the DCHP issue I also need to tackle once I get this wifi issue solved.
Many Amcrest inoor Wi-Fi cams have different IP for Ethernet and wireless, each unique.
I would go ahead and make each of those static.
Also, does cam have a drop down menu to set wireless as 'defaul't once you scan and find your your Wi-Fi SSID?

Jeff Basin

n3wb
Reaction score
You did it! It's funny, I've had these cameras for a year or so and somehow blindly set it all up back then. After your help, I can't believe I actually had them working back then. Learned a lot this time and REALLY appreciate the help.

Last edited: