Camera Keeps Losing Signal

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new BI setup with 16 cameras on a brand new PC. Everything is working great, CPU is at 6% with no problems at all.

I do have one brand new camera (Dahua) that will work fine for several minutes, then lose signal, then regain the signal, over and over again.

I have tested the cat5 wire and it is fine with no shorts. The cat5 goes into a patch panel, so I was thinking of wiring it direct to the POE/switch, Not sure what to try next.

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
This wire has been in place for about 2 years and has worked perfectly fine with cameras before we switched to BI. Previously we had the camera hooked into our NVR without issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This wire has been in place for about 2 years and has worked perfectly fine with cameras before we switched to BI. Previously we had the camera hooked into our NVR without issue.
You need to answer the questions posed. A defect in the cable could be more on a different cam.

tai4de2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a problem like this with one of my cameras (Amcrest IP8M-2496). Camera would work, then seemingly randomly lose signal. Sometimes it would restore itself, sometimes if I cycled PoE off/on on the switch it would come back, sometimes I’d have to manually unplug and re-plug the Ethernet cable at the switch.

The camera is directly screwed to an exterior wall with the pigtail (wire bundle out from the camera) connected to the Ethernet cable run, encased in Amcrest’s outdoor-rated barrel connector w/ rubber grommet. The resulting cabling is looped/curled around and itself fastened to the exterior wall just above the camera.

I tried a different port on the PoE switch; same problem. Swapping two ports at the switch (so same cable, different port) — same problem. A different cable from various ports on the switch to the camera — same problem, but less frequent. Taking down the camera and connecting it directly to the switch with a short cable — could not reproduce the problem. Jiggering the camera pigtail — could sometimes cause the problem, but a difficult repro because it wouldn’t necessarily happen immediately.

I ended up simply replacing the camera. I installed it more carefully using the original exterior cable. The problem disappeared.

My theory is that at installation time, the pigtail on the problematic camera had been pulled into too tight of a curl and was damaged. In that situation subtle things like the weather (since the copper expands/contracts with heat/cold) and Heisenberg become potential issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk