Camera location vs zoom level (initial physical camera location)

CPM10V

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, new user and excited to learn. I have a new Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2mp Starlight IR varifocal eyeball camera I've installed to capture the NW corner of my house ((6' wide access area). Had a question regarding camera placement (Also using Blue Iris).

-If the goal is to best capture detail of someone entering this area, where do you initially locate the camera with respect to zoom level? As in, should the camera be set to max zoom to give the detail I want and then position in accordingly on house, or should the zoom be left in the middle to allow form some adjustment? Thanks a lot!

Below is current camera image. I have it nearly zoomed "out" all the way here. Interested in the area in the door laying on it's side primarily.

xa.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, new user and excited to learn. I have a new Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2mp Starlight IR varifocal eyeball camera I've installed to capture the NW corner of my house ((6' wide access area). Had a question regarding camera placement (Also using Blue Iris).

-If the goal is to best capture detail of someone entering this area, where do you initially locate the camera with respect to zoom level? As in, should the camera be set to max zoom to give the detail I want and then position in accordingly on house, or should the zoom be left in the middle to allow form some adjustment? Thanks a lot!

Below is current camera image. I have it nearly zoomed "out" all the way here. Interested in the area in the door laying on it's side primarily.

View attachment 52258
Welcome @CPM10V

Good to have you here.

Now it is time to test the captures.

Have a friend dress up as an intruder with a hoodie and baseball cap. Have them walk, walk fast, and jog around the property doing "intrusive" actions you would want to watch for.
Ask them to pretend they do not know the cameras are there. ( i.e. do not look up directly at the cameras, do not look away... you can test the other options once you've gone through the first one )

Then have a SO or another friend attempt to ID the suspect. Start with the worst captures first.. and then move to the better ones until your other friend / SO can ID the suspect.

btw - the current view, imho the camera is mounted too high. That's what we call our "bald spot" ID camera position.