Camera lost wifi visibility

jammit

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS set-up on wifi which has worked fine for several years.

Recently I have lost connectivity over wifi. The camera address is no longer registering on the network.
I'm beginning to regret connecting using wifi - but wondering if this can occur with some HIKvision cameras.

Power is definitely still supplied to the camera. On power cycling, the camera day filter 'clicks' after about 20s - so something is powering on.
Have tried the reset button but no visibility on SADP.
Any suggestions - or perhaps the camera has simply died :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any suggestions - or perhaps the camera has simply died
Is there any external access (eg 'port forwarding') to the camera, or other devices on the LAN?
eg UPnP enabled on the router, and still enabled on the camera?
If so, it may have been hacked and the settings changed.

Have tried the reset button but no visibility on SADP.
If that's still on WiFi - it may simply be disconnected from the AP by a settings change, a common result of being hacked.

Suggestion :
Run a temporary ethernet cable and see if SADP then has visibility.
If the reset actually worked, the status should be 'Inactive' in which case you can Activate it with your own password.
If yes, and Active, and the IP address doesn't match the LAN requirements, try changing it to suit with the password that you originally set.
If that does not work, try the passwords 1111aaaa or asdf1234

jammit

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I will give the temporary ethernet cable a try.
It seems hacking is quite common - and password protection is not preventing - probably just slowing them down....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score