Camera mounting under eaves?

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've bought some Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras and would like some advice on how best to mount them outside my home. I'd like to put them under the eaves (photo attached). Because we have exposed rafter tails and no soffit, I plan on drilling through the blocking between the rafters to pull the wire into the attic space. Ideally, I would mount the camera on the blocking so that no wire is exposed. This won't work when I need to point the camera to the left or right, though, because it will be blocked by a rafter. I don't want to mount on the side of the house because pulling the wire through the top plate of the wall will be a huge pain, not to mention it will be ugly. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Kevin

Attachments

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you mount the camera closer to the gutter can’t you pop the cat five cable through one of the horizontal boards into the attic space?

I know would be hard to come from the attic down but if you go from the outside in swimming there’s a cavity in there you should be able to feed the cable through especially if you drilled at an angle.

When using a junction box you only need a 3/8” only for the cat five so it’s not very big at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you mount the camera closer to the gutter can’t you pop the cat five cable through one of the horizontal boards into the attic space?

I know would be hard to come from the attic down but if you go from the outside in swimming there’s a cavity in there you should be able to feed the cable through especially if you drilled at an angle.

When using a junction box you only need a 3/8” only for the cat five so it’s not very big at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could do that if I were willing to run cable from the camera to the blocking and then into the attic. Certainly possible, though I won't know how much field of view that clears up until I test out that camera position.

Basically, I'd like to be able to have a camera that points along the front of the house (pictured) so I can see all entry points from the front yard.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the issue I see with running conduit from the camera is that the connector attached to the camera is too large to fit inside (see image). Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the issue I see with running conduit from the camera is that the connector attached to the camera is too large to fit inside (see image). Any thoughts on this?
Dahua junction box.
Mount cam as close to end of rafter as practical to avoid IR reflections at night. Or mount on bottom of rafters for this reason.

Use this to decide where you might need to put them for face ID's: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100.

Nothing better than a movable test rig made of a 2x4, 5gal bucket, and some rocks or sand. Leave in place at least 24hrs.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua junction box.
Mount cam as close to end of rafter as practical to avoid IR reflections at night. Or mount on bottom of rafters for this reason.

Use this to decide where you might need to put them for face ID's: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100.

Nothing better than a movable test rig made of a 2x4, 5gal bucket, and some rocks or sand. Leave in place at least 24hrs.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to test proposed locations at night, too. I'd rather not put them under the rafters, as I'd like them not to be an eyesore, so hopefully we can get away with the other.