Camera needed voltage

Faresoyam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it okay to give cameras 13.5v constantly?
When it was 12v in the night some cameras turned off and other got some abnormal lines now when i made it 13.5v they are fine in the night but will this harm the cameras?
Thanks in advance for reading this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it okay to give cameras 13.5v constantly?
When it was 12v in the night some cameras turned off and other got some abnormal lines now when i made it 13.5v they are fine in the night but will this harm the cameras?
Thanks in advance for reading this.
Are these analog cameras or IP cameras?
How close to the camera(s) is the 12v power supply?
Is it possible that, depending on the length and gauge of the power conductor, that you are getting too much voltage drop and boosting it to 13.5 at the source it then drops to 12v at the load end?

Faresoyam

n3wb
Reaction score
Are these analog cameras or IP cameras?
How close to the camera(s) is the 12v power supply?
Is it possible that, depending on the length and gauge of the power conductor, that you are getting too much voltage drop and boosting it to 13.5 at the source it then drops to 12v at the load end?
There are analog and ip cameras and there is cameras cable from 10m to 300m

Faresoyam

n3wb
Reaction score
Imagine if you just arrived at this thread and read your first post and then my questions...and then you read your answer above...
Could YOU offer any meaningful advice ?
I have a central power supply (its 30 ampree) all the cameras take the power from the same adapter i have 9 cameras.
I just want to know if the 13.5v cause any harm to cameras in the long run everything is fine now.
When it was 12v the cameras that are far from the power supply had problems.

Faresoyam

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you measured the voltage at the camera(s) at the furthest (longest) point with the load connected?
No but i will do that tomorrow. I think its about 12v but my concern is about the one with 20 meter long cable the 13.5v will it void the camera

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think its about 12v but my concern is about the one with 20 meter long cable the 13.5v will it void the camera
A good question but one that I cannot answer.
IMO, a bigger question is:
If you're getting that much drop on the longest cable can you run a larger gauge cable for the power? It could be #14 stranded copper all by itself, the cam doesn't care. Those conductors in those twin "Siamese" (video + power) cables are VERY small (26 AWG ?) in cross section.

Calculator.net shows #14 AWG will carry 1/4 amps for 20m/66 ft. and barely drop the voltage. Try the calculator with various lengths and actual current numbers to determine what will provide less than 5% voltage drop.

12VDC_66ft_No26.jpg 12VDC_66ft_No14.jpg

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should not have any problems operating at 13.5VDC. Think about all the automotive/marine applications where accessories are powered from a battery w/ alternator charging around 13.8VDC.