Camera on different network.

Reaction score
I need to add a camera that's on a different wireless network to my own group of cameras, is there any way to go about this?

Thanks

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick answer is yes.
Let me ask, who owns the wireless network it's on?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick answer is yes.
Let me ask, who owns the wireless network it's on?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The long answer: "it depends", as indeed the owner of that network, but also extensibility of that network are of huge importance.

EG. If it's your own wifi network (daisy chained) to your local network, I'd simply port forward that cam to your BI infrastructure and off you go.
But that if wouldn't be the case, you might have to reformulate (eg redesign) that other network. One way is to add a (simple) gateway (eg. raspberry pi) next to that cam, and have it VPN tunnel into your network, so that the BI server can talk to that cam. Or, if that wifi network has a "high grade" router, it might be vpn connect to your network and only forward that cam stream to your BI pc.

So tons of possibilities, some easier than others. but ... "it depends" :)

Good luck!
CC

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can access the camera (web interface) from the BI computer, then yes, you can.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can access the camera (web interface) from the BI computer, then yes, you can.
Unless you know how that "foreign" wifi is setup, this advice can be dangerous, as it assumes that a simple port forwarding to the outside WAN might be implemented, which is, being 2020, the stupiest idea ever...

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're right. If it's a network that you must access over WAN, you need to make sure you have a secure line connecting the two networks.