Camera Password reset - new firmware utility - start time important?

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an issue where I can not connect any of my IP Camera’s to my NVR. Any attempt to connect to the cameras with the common passwords (12345, 123456789a, hik12345 or 123456789abc or admin-12345abc ) etc etc give me incorrect password

There is a feature to reset the passwords where you generate a .xml file and send to HikVision support and they send an 8 char code back which you enter to reset the password. Problem is this passcode is not working I get “Password reset fail”

Three questions please:

1. Could my problem be that while I was waiting for hikvision support I powered the unit down and then I guess changed the start time for the cameras?
  2. I assume the passkey that hikvision provide back to you is not the new password itself but the passkey that is used to complete the password reset function – is this assumption correct?
  3. If the password reset works correctly, what does it reset the password to – 12345?

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
Asked and Answered - with the help of hikVision support, I can confirm:

1. Could my problem be that while I was waiting for hikvision support I powered the unit down and then I guess changed the start time for the cameras? The password reset procedure requires the IP cameras to remain connected to the NVR, rebooting the system renders the activation keys useless
  2. I assume the passkey that hikvision provide back to you is not the new password itself but the passkey that is used to complete the password reset function – is this assumption correct? This assumption is correct.

I hope this helps someone else.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the default password for most Hikvision products is or was 12345 as you guessed.

Since you are using the simple reset code procedure, you can try this tool rather than wait for Hikvision support to send you new keys: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2920-Hikvision-camera-admin-password-reset-tool
I think the OP is actually talking about the RSA signed procedure Hikvision developed in response the publication of a tool for the simple algo they used to use.

HawkI007

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the OP is actually talking about the RSA signed procedure Hikvision developed in response the publication of a tool for the simple algo they used to use.
Thats correct - I just wanted to highlight the algorithym uses the start time to calculate the passkey - so If you stop/start your cameras the passkey provided by hikvision will no longer work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, quite right. I missed the part about the xml file.

I really can't understand why Hikvision forces people to go through customer support to get their passwords reset in the first place. If it is some kind of security measure, like to reduce the chance of unauthorized resets by making the process take longer than one sitting, then they could achieve the same effect by forcing you to issue a reset command twice, 24 hours apart. No pass key or customer support interaction required. They aren't protecting anyone by forcing you to involve a third party. What possible reason could there be for this?