Camera placement advice

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am awaiting 5 Dahua hdw5231r-z cameras and have just ordered a PoE switch and Cat6 cable and other networking equipment. I have posted my house diagram with my proposed cam placement (yellow diamonds).

Right now I am trying to get most of the front area of my house and the garage. The back I may do later since it's more of a pain with vaulted ceilings and the front is more active. I am still open to suggestions on camera placement.

It's a one story house and i have a 7 foot brick wall in the front area that you can see that blocks a lot of area (it has archways but obscures a lot of the front of the house). However, there is a big front window behind the brick facade so I was thinking of putting a camera there in case someone tried to break in at that point. However, this point may not be incredibly important right now and maybe putting a camera in the backyard is better? You can see my suggestions for the placement of the backyard. I mainly would like to see the shed and a view of the backdoor.

I have a cam depicted in the middle of the driveway right above the doors or even in between the two garage doors (it's twin door all wood siding in this area). It should be face height, is that correct?

Another camera needs to go inside the garage (center rear) to watch people who may enter or try to grab anything.

I think a front door is a must to see people at the door. I want to see face ID. Do most people put it left or right of the door or above?

The camera to the right of the garage (under eave is proposed) is for watching the front yard and street where my wife's car is usually parked. In front of the smaller crepe myrtle shrub.

I also have an old picture of the front of the house so you can see what I am dealing with in the front. There is no vine on the wall near the front walkway anymore (removed it years ago) but it's mostly the same as it is now with the facade in the front.

house_diagram.jpg
oldhouse.JPG

Last edited: