Camera placement input/suggestions

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any input would be greatly appreciated with my initial thoughts/plans. I have a 5231R-ZE I want to use to monitor our vehicles. I also have a PFB203W Mount to install the camera into the brick.

As you can see, our driveway and vehicle placement to the house are not what I would call normal. My wife and I park this way (car away from our house) 98% of the time.

I'm still very new to this stuff, but the one thing that worries me with this initial plan is IR reflection off the brick near the camera's placement. Your thoughts? Also, am I wrong in believing that this angle/location is the BEST to veiw our vehicles?

Again, thank you for your time and any input or suggestions would be more than welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would either locate the camera closer to the cars or pull the cars forward...

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would either locate the camera closer to the cars or pull the cars forward...
Thank you, sir. We can indeed move the vehicles closer. Do you feel this would help or not with any IR reflection that may happen with the location of the camera?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By moving the cars closer, you'll be able to aim the camera such that the IR isnt hitting the wall as much. You'll also get better ID with a closer focus.

Good on you for considering the IR reflection, Its always hard focusing down the side of a building, by moving the cars forward you'll be able to aim the camera more to the left and have less IR hitting the wall and more lens on what matters.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Appreciate it.. It's just the closer I move the vehicles closer to the camera the more I lose view of one of the vehicles (the car). I just have really bad angles to work with at this location :/

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Also, thank you for the suggestion of parking the truck on the outside and at an angle.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any input would be greatly appreciated with my initial thoughts/plans. I have a 5231R-ZE I want to use to monitor our vehicles. I also have a PFB203W Mount to install the camera into the brick.

As you can see, our driveway and vehicle placement to the house are not what I would call normal. My wife and I park this way (car away from our house) 98% of the time.

I'm still very new to this stuff, but the one thing that worries me with this initial plan is IR reflection off the brick near the camera's placement. Your thoughts? Also, am I wrong in believing that this angle/location is the BEST to veiw our vehicles?

Again, thank you for your time and any input or suggestions would be more than welcome.
Hi @TheE

Mo' cameras, Mo' cameras.

I would put another camera closer to the front of the house to get a good image of anyone walking / driving on to your driveway.

Also remember, at a FOV which is 19.2 feet wide with those 2MP 1080P cameras you will approx have the 100 ppf density which we use as a measure to determine the ID range.

So imho to get enough coverage along that side I would definitely be using 2+ cameras just to get enough pixel density to cover any cars parked there.

remember to use the test rig and a friend playing prowler to confirm possible placements for the camera(s).

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus what Mat and Bigred said,
Test your proposed locations. Using, 2x4, 5gal bucket, and ballast.
Test each location for 24hrs or more. What looks good on paper, doesn't always work out.
You "may" be able to leave the cams in color mode 24/7 if you leave the lights on at the garage doors.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @TheE

Mo' cameras, Mo' cameras.

I would put another camera closer to the front of the house to get a good image of anyone walking / driving on to your driveway.

Also remember, at a FOV which is 19.2 feet wide with those 2MP 1080P cameras you will approx have the 100 ppf density which we use as a measure to determine the ID range.

So imho to get enough coverage along that side I would definitely be using 2+ cameras just to get enough pixel density to cover any cars parked there.

remember to use the test rig and a friend playing prowler to confirm possible placements for the camera(s).
Yes, sir. Thank you! For the front I already have the 4231F-AS mounted at the front door and here is where the other two cams will possibly go; but at 8 ft from the ground:

Attachments