Camera Placement Suggestions

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Having read the cliff notes, I've finally decided to purchase some Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras for my install. I'm going to place 2 above the garage overlapping each other and one above the light on the rear of the house above the patio door, as shown by the large red circles in the photos here:

Locations

I would appreciate some advice as to where to mount the one(s) by the front door so that it covers the front door and the window. I'd also like to mount 2 or more cameras at the back of the house so they cover the whole of the rear garden since anyone could probably climb over the wall.

Finally, is now a good time to buy the cameras or should I wait until after Christmas? I'll be looking to purchase these from @EMPIRETECANDY since he is highly recommended on this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Hammerhead

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would move the cameras down on the garage to the height of the garage door. For now install only one camera.
Install the other camera next to the front door. Keep the mount low.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Having read the cliff notes, I've finally decided to purchase some Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras for my install. I'm going to place 2 above the garage overlapping each other and one above the light on the rear of the house above the patio door, as shown by the large red circles in the photos here:

Locations

I would appreciate some advice as to where to mount the one(s) by the front door so that it covers the front door and the window. I'd also like to mount 2 or more cameras at the back of the house so they cover the whole of the rear garden since anyone could probably climb over the wall.

Finally, is now a good time to buy the cameras or should I wait until after Christmas? I'll be looking to purchase these from @EMPIRETECANDY since he is highly recommended on this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Hammerhead
Hi @Hammerhead

For the cameras covering the driveway, I would mount them lower. Remember to test the positions.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would move the cameras down on the garage to the height of the garage door. For now install only one camera.
Install the other camera next to the front door. Keep the mount low.
Thanks. Do you think one would be enough to cover the driveway? Any suggestions for the rear of the house? Would you recommend using wall mounts or junction boxes to mount the cameras onto Stucco or mounting directly to the wall. I only want to drill a hole large enough to pass the cat6 cable through.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think one would be enough to cover the driveway? Any suggestions for the rear of the house? Would you recommend using wall mounts or junction boxes to mount the cameras onto Stucco or mounting directly to the wall. I only want to drill a hole large enough to pass the cat6 cable through.
Hi @Hammerhead786

You will eventually want to get one camera per each side of that garage. If you are looking at Turrets I personally like the PFB203/204 wall mounts if you can bring the cable to the cameras from the wall.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks mat and Looney2ns. One final question. What would you suggest for the camera mounts? I can drill through to the garage for the two there, but as much as I really hate to, I'm going to have to run some conduit down the outside for the front door and the rear cameras. Should I mount the cameras directly to the walls and use junction boxes or mounting brackets?

Opening up the walls inside is a no-go since the house is only 9 months old and the wife won't tolerate having them opened up/patched up and since I can install the cameras myself, she won't approve the budget for having someone else to come in and run the wiring.

Thanks again for all of your input. It is much appreciated. :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat and Looney2ns. One final question. What would you suggest for the camera mounts? I can drill through to the garage for the two there, but as much as I really hate to, I'm going to have to run some conduit down the outside for the front door and the rear cameras. Should I mount the cameras directly to the walls and use junction boxes or mounting brackets?

Opening up the walls inside is a no-go since the house is only 9 months old and the wife won't tolerate having them opened up/patched up and since I can install the cameras myself, she won't approve the budget for having someone else to come in and run the wiring.

Thanks again for all of your input. It is much appreciated. :)
Hi @Hammerhead786

If you are surface mounting the conduit - I would go with PFA136/137/130E junction boxes for the turrets and PFA121 for the square bullets.

When coming from inside of the garage out through the wall - I really do like the wall mounts - PBW203/204 iirc for the turrets.

remember to double check the model numbers to match the cameras you have.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Hammerhead786

If you are surface mounting the conduit - I would go with PFA136/137/130E junction boxes for the turrets and PFA121 for the square bullets.

When coming from inside of the garage out through the wall - I really do like the wall mounts - PBW203/204 iirc for the turrets.

remember to double check the model numbers to match the cameras you have.
Thanks Mat.