Camera placement

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to have 5 cameras when it is all said and done. 4 will be IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and one will be a PTZ mounted somewhere at the front of the house.

I am looking for suggestions of the best mounting locations for all of the cameras.
They will all be mounted around 8 feet and possibly one around 15 feet in the back of the house. There is a park butting up to my back yard and a walkway on the north side of my house going from the park to the street. I dont believe the south side of my house needs much coverage as it has no windows. I would like to be able to I'd faces if possible and monitor the trailer on the street as well as the front, back and north side of my house.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, study this>> cliff notes.
In general, you want to know who did it, not just what happened.
So that means, no cameras mounted higher than 8ft, lower is better.
Keeping PPF >100, this will help in selection of locations and how much zoom you need IPVM Camera Calculator V3
Typically, it's better to have more properly aimed fixed cams instead of a PTZ. The odds are it will be looking at the wrong spot when something happens.

If you always have vehicles parked in the drive, you need at least 3 camera's there.
Two looking across the drive, and one looking at the side pad.
One at the front door at 6ft.
One at any other entrance doors.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just using 4 cameras I came up with this as one option. The 5th camera would be above my front door.
Hi @GKyle840 - looks like a good start, now time to get at least one camera and start testing it out.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a camera, I was thinking of putting it on a 2x4 and testing out the locations.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
any input on this layout?
I am going to set one camera up tomorrow and test it out.

Attachments

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is of my back door and patio area. the camera is at 8 feet and im going to bring it down so it is between 6.5 and 7 feet. does the placement seem ok or should I try it on the other side of the door?

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is of my back door and patio area. the camera is at 8 feet and im going to bring it down so it is between 6.5 and 7 feet. does the placement seem ok or should I try it on the other side of the door?
Well that all depends on what you want to see, if it's to ID someone near the door, then it's acceptable but lower is better.