Camera placement

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am working on setting up my first camera. I am using a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. This camera will be setup at the back garage door entrance. Walk path comes around garage from front of home to this door. Any suggestions on placement?

I made a 8 ft pole in bucket and played around with it tonight with having it on the right top corner area. Could use some suggestions though on placement ideas. See pictures of door and two different angles I tried tonight.

Attachments

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After trying again during daylight, I think the best placement would be where I circled on the corner of the awning. I initially thought about putting it in the direct corner, but at night the IR seemed to wash out images.

Thoughts on this placement location? Looking for any advice before I start drilling.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After trying again during daylight, I think the best placement would be where I circled on the corner of the awning. I initially thought about putting it in the direct corner, but at night the IR seemed to wash out images.

Thoughts on this placement location? Looking for any advice before I start drilling.
Hi @countrycamera

imho too high unless you want to check out tops of hats

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your only concern is the walkway then I'd go with the circled placement spot. But as @mat200 said it is a high placement. I have a similar placement for my front door utilizing the soffit above the front door and still get face shots as needed.

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where do you recomend if this is too high? Would i mount on the wall? Cement to awning is a little over 8 ft.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you recomend if this is too high? Would i mount on the wall? Cement to awning is a little over 8 ft.
Hi @countrycamera

iirc in the cliff notes we recommend 6-8 feet high for cameras which you want a good chance at an id image capture ( general rule ). For me, i like cameras by the doors to be close to eye level

With the light there by the door you'll want to test a few locations. Remember to test with a friend acting the part of a prowler wearing a hoodie and cap - and have another friend attempt to ID them.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If this is a back door then I’d be inclined to test putting the cam at about the same height as the lamp you have but along on the wall to the right. This should give you a much better view of the path as anybody approaches.

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For those who mount the camera at eye level. Do you have any concerns of it being low enough for someone to damage? It seems to stick right out whereas when its up higher, its more hidden/out of sight.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure they could damage it, but I already have them on video. I’d rather take that chance than have video of a bald spot. Why bother?

Last edited:

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the camera test at a lower eye level. Is this more of where you guys are saying it should be?

When placing a camera on the side of a door like this, do you normally try to have the door included in the frame or have the camera farther out to get a larger point of view of the area including the walk path?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would angle left a bit to diminish the IR reflection. But I do understand getting the door. A bit of trade off.
Test it by standing at the door, you may find you get just as good ID moving left a bit more with the door out of frame

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the camera test at a lower eye level. Is this more of where you guys are saying it should be?

When placing a camera on the side of a door like this, do you normally try to have the door included in the frame or have the camera farther out to get a larger point of view of the area including the walk path?
No need to see all that wall. This causing IR reflection which affects it's exposure.

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. I tested and am able to get a decent image walking to the cam.

Last questions. To get the angle and least amount of IR glare I have the camera tilted as far left as it will go in the mount. Does this look right for where I have it placed? Maybe I am just overthinking this, but it doesn't look right when I am wanting to capture the image of the walk path, but have the turn the camera as far left as it will go to not have any IR glare. I can't go any farther at this height due to a window being there.

See pictures.

I just want to do it right the first time. I appreciate all the help!

Attachments

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok sounds good.

See attached, I do have that PFB203W mount as well.

Now for mounting onto the vinyl siding. Any links or tips on doing this? See attached as well for what is behind each wall. I would like to finish this today.

Attachments