Camera (Product?) with best 2-way audio?

Reaction score
I've got my security system for my home pretty much complete, and I'm happy with the coverage and performance. Now what I want is some form of 2-way intercom system. So when I'm at work or in the detached garage I can send my two small kids or wife a quick message ("Stop putting glue in your sister's hair!") and have them be able to say something back.

I figured this would be an easy task, I see plenty of commercials for those doorbell cameras where people communicate 2-way. So I thought finding a simple Wi-Fi enabled speaker would be easy, turns out it isn't.

I use Blue Iris, but I would actually like to keep this completely separate and use an app from my phone. I don't mind spending a little money, but the less the better. First thought was a simple Android app that I could install on a cheap $35 Fire tablet. But there's none that I can find that will send a message without someone pressing something to receive it or having to have the app in the foreground all the time.

So seems like that ~$60 Wi-Fi 720p (not worried about video quality, just audio) Foscam with 2 way audio is my only real solution. Does anyone have any other ideas? Cheapo "nanny cam?"

Thanks!

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used an amcrest 1080 ptz with 2 way audio for my nursery... not the "best" setup I'm sure... but it works just fine for me, and it was cheap.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run a Asterisks PBX and put VoIP phones in each room; doubles as a home intercom.. I can call any room directly, or call all rooms at once and drop em all into a conference room on mute for an all-call effect..

the one in the kids room came in handy the first time my son had a breath holding seizure; I dont carry my phone on me so when I had to call an ambulance I stood up.. hit speaker, 911 and went back to trying to figure out why my son was turning blue while talking to dispatch.

We use the phones more as phones since our cell rings the house lines than as an intercom; but it is nice when someone is sick.. push speed dial on phone, ask for more water/tissue/drugs/etc without crawling out of bed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
("Stop putting glue in your sister's hair!")
I can picture it now, "but dad the video on youtube kids said to use superglue to remove the chewing gum I put in her hair".

Dahua and Hikvision both make some indoor cube cams with speakers and mics built in (functionality is similar to a walkie talkie).

There are also DECT cordless phones with a push to talk style intercom that can broadcast to all phones but you can't just choose to listen remotely.

Last edited: