Camera PW after NVR activation?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I bought a Hikvision 8 port NVR and three Hikvision 2MP cameras (a dome, a mini dome, and a bullet) prior to finding this site. I actually got them installed in something of a trial mode and all is well at the moment. Meanwhile I've been soaking up the wealth of knowledge from this site so that when the weather warms I can expand and reconfigure the system much better based on what I learned here.

Meanwhile, one question: I understand the Hik cameras need to be activated before use; the NVR took care of it and within minutes of plugging in they were streaming video just fine. But, how do I find out what password the NVR set for them. Specifically, if I want to adjust settings via the cameras' own interfaces via plugging my laptop into an open NVR port, or if I use a power injector/POE switch and just plug the cable right into my laptop. I can easily look up the IP address of each camera in the NVR software, and presumably the username remains admin, but how to identify the password present on cameras set up by the NVR?

I understand this may be a silly n3wb question, but would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Marc

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not silly, it can be complicated with POE NVR's

The POE section will provide an ip range other than the onboard nic, so it would be better not to use them for connection, on the nvr you should enable virtual hosts and then you can talk via a web browser to that new address, it is usually n.n.n.n:65001 or in that range

As for passwords: The nvr will probably have used its own, as in the same as the admin account on the NVR, but if not then try the old favourites 12345 etc

Also install SDAP and see what info that provides

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But, how do I find out what password the NVR set for them.
Depending on the firmware version of the NVR, in Plug&Play camera add mode, the NVR will use it's own password to activate the connected cameras.
On the newest firmware (I think it's 3.4.96 that has this) there is an option to set a separate camera password while still using Plug&Play mode.
Specifically, if I want to adjust settings via the cameras' own interfaces via plugging my laptop into an open NVR port, or if I use a power injector/POE switch and just plug the cable right into my laptop.
You won't need to do this if you enable 'Virtual Host' - web GUI | Network | Advanced settings | Other tab | tickbox.
Then you can use the links in the far right column of Camera Management to directly access the connected camera's web GUI.
And apologies to @Silas for the bumped response.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This weekend I plan to play with it and will try out what you mentioned. Appreciate the fast responses!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally got around to playing with this. To answer the original question, I was able to log on to the cameras using the admin password from the NVR. In other words, the NVR programmed the cameras with the same administrative password that I had originally set up the NVR with. So, username: "admin" pw: [whatever pw the NVR uses]