Camera quality vs HDD storage

Reaction score
I bought a amcrest 8mp 4k camera system. if its recording at 4k it will use more memory on the hard drive right? So if i switch to all 4mp 1080p or 2mp cameras i should get more days out of my 2tb hard drive?

Im just trying to get a idea of how HDD storage work with the camera quality.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The higher the resolution the more disk space is used. There's a calculator in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page that will help you figure things out. Not only is resolution important, but frame rate is another one. Again the higher the frame rate the more space is used.

Don't chase megapixels unless you have a really BIG budget. Chase sensor size and bigger is better. To confuse you more sensor sizes are listed in fractions so do the basic math to be sure, 1/2.7 is bigger than 1/2.8 or 1/3. General rule of thumb is that a 4MP camera will easily outperform an 8MP camera when they both have the same sensor size. Reason being that there are twice as many pixels in the 8MP versus the 4MP. This results in only half the available light getting to each pixel in an 8MP that a pixel in the 4MP "sees".

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)
Disclaimer - These are the sensor sizes reported by the manufacturers and may not be the actual physical size of the sensor in the camera.

Focal length, lens size, is another critical element in camera selection. A 2.8mm lens will produce a nice wide view but will be useless for identification at distances greater than abut 10 or 15 feet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to run cameras at their native resolution, even if they are on the wrong MP/sensor ratio.

When you downrez from 8MP to 4MP, it is still using the same pixel screen and now you have the camera doing even more processing to try to lower the resolution, which in many cases results in a soft mess.

You are better off lowering FPS. No need to run more than 15FPS as we are not making Hollywood movies. Most can get by with 10 or 12 FPS and that will provide a better bang for the buck in storage savings.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a amcrest 8mp 4k camera system. if its recording at 4k it will use more memory on the hard drive right? So if i switch to all 4mp 1080p or 2mp cameras i should get more days out of my 2tb hard drive?

Im just trying to get a idea of how HDD storage work with the camera quality.
H.265 compression works for me with Amcrest hardware and software to reduce disk space and bandwidth over H.264, with equivalent quality. Details are below: