Camera recommendation Laundrymat

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I first set up my system years ago, I went with some foscam ip cameras and blue iris.

I have one of my indoor ptz now die and needs replaced, I have had issues with them resetting their position. I don't know if this is a foscam issue, power issue or what. So I am thinking maybe a fixed wider angle lens? The ptz were always fixed and only occasionally/rarely moved around.

Lets call it a 20'x30' area with four cameras currently in it. What would you start replacing them with?

Thanks

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks

I read through that thread and eventually will buy one for the outdoors and possibly the shop.

For indoors on the laundrymat though, the low light / night vision is completely wasted as there are always lights on.

Anything around $100 mark?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
grab some 4mp dahua/hikvision turrets for indoors...dahua has some nice 4mp motorized varifocal domes which will work well for indoors for about 90 dollars each via ali/ebay..
Note, that you may have to upgrade your blue iris machine to handle these higher resolution cameras.

Last edited:

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find the right ones.

Probably so, I need to move to an Intel skylake for the acceleration it provides

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are the turrets better than the bullets? I'm not able to attach to the ceiling as there are drop lights that would block a lot of vision and I need angles to the mounting walls that I think would tilt the image.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turrets are every bit as installable as Bullets; they just have a larger footprint.. Most people, including my self.. find Turrets more aesthetically pleasing than Bullets.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's installable but I think I would need to make a bracket coming out from the wall. I cant' mount to the ceiling and need the camera to be looking at a ~45 degree angle from the wall it is on.

Either way, what is the best model to go with now around the $100 mark?

I'm not sure what letters mean in the model number
HDBW4431R-AS vs HDBW4431R-ZS for instance. I'm looking at empire as I saw them on the link for the starlight thread I believe

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my turret is mounted flush to the wall, it'll look from 0-90 degrees in any angle.. up, down, left, right.. it can twist clockwise/counter clockwise as much as needed; the adjustability is full and not limited.

those cheap varifocals (-ZS) are getting terrible feedback/reviews..

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
do you leave your turrets exposed to the elements or place them in housings (big dome)?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are all weather IP67 rated; so I leave em exposed to all mother nature has to offer.. the'll be fine.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh interesting, good to know. I thought the video would end up being sideways.

Which model do you recommend for indoors laundromat that's 20'x30', always have lights on, wide angle as possible for coverage.

Thank you

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS from Empire instead. I don't think I received a power supply with it, not sure if that is normal or not so I put in a message to them. I assumed by model name it was the same internals as the one you listed but in different form that was more convenient and not much more so got the IR just in case.

I may be picking up the HDBW5231R-Z shortly for an outdoor camera

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use power over ethernet (either built into your nvr or a poe switch) and no additional power supply is needed.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have a poe switch. It may have been worth the extra investment but I'd bought a 8-port gigabit netgear prosafe switch on a post Christmas sale for something like $10? I'm using blue iris on a remote pc so don't have the nvr hookup.

My installation is a mess but since no one else sees anything but the cameras I don't care much.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a poe switch. It may have been worth the extra investment but I'd bought a 8-port gigabit netgear prosafe switch on a post Christmas sale for something like $10? I'm using blue iris on a remote pc so don't have the nvr hookup.

My installation is a mess but since no one else sees anything but the cameras I don't care much.
Get a PoE switch, it's the simplest option. Better than making it easy for people to unplug the cams or running another wire. All your cables should end in the same place (at switch).

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera I replaced had electricity at the camera out of sight and reach, all the one's currently set up too. If they can unplug the power from the camera then they can unplug the Ethernet from the camera.

In future installations I"ll look to do that though.

I've been trying to find laws and regulations for Texas as to what one needs to install cameras as I've had cops ask me questions about my cameras and system and makes me a little nervous.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of the switches only run 4 poe ports where I have 8 cameras in there.