Camera recommendation with Dahua N52B2P4

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to LPR. I have a customer that has Dahua N52B2P4 Pro-Series 4K 8-Channel and he wants to capture license plates on incoming cars.
He has already Dahua camera for general overview and I am looking for solution to get license plates recorded with additional camera optimized for LPR.
Conditions: Day and nights. Distance is within 30' and probably less. Slow moving cars. Camera would be located pretty low 35-40" off the ground.

What would be the optimal camera?

Is there a way to use existing Dahua N52B2P4 Pro-Series 4K to capture license plates or so I need something special to achieve that?

Thanks for you input. Charles

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd recommend a varifocal to make it easy to get the full plate under most any conditions at that range. A 12mm should do the trick, or for extra insurance got to the Z4 version.

Keep in mind that LPR is a single dedicated use case. At night the only thing you'll see is head or tail lights and the license plate. Shutter speeds, exposure, need to be 1/1000 or higher to get clear captures. Have a look at these threads on LPR.

LPR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are two ways to read plates - visually or having the camera/VMS capable to read and log the plates. That NVR does not have that capability. So your client would either need to purchase another NVR or just accept that the camera will be able to allow them to pull up the video and manually read it.

Have you looked at the LPR subforum?

How far away are the plates from where the camera would be (and recognize most people underestimate distance, so 50 feet ends up actually being 80 feet when you install it)?

You need optical zoom that is only accomplished with a larger varifocal and a camera that you can manually set the shutter speed.

For plate reading, or any IDENTIFY at distance, focal length is more important than MP.

2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor is an ideal MP/sensor ratio and is more than enough for plate reading.

The reason most opt for the Z12E is because it's optical zoom is incredible (up to 64mm focal length). The goal is to get clean capture of plates without having to digital zoom and guess. If you have a good angle, this camera can get plates up to 190ish feet away.

If the distance is truly 30 feet, you could get by with a ZE model, but if 30 feet turns out to be 50 feet, then the ZE model won't cut it. Most people seriously underestimate the distance.

Keep in mind that LPR is as much an art as it is a science. It is all about optical zoom, not digital, especially at night. And proper shutter speed. The Z12E is the cheapest they come with that much optical zoom for up to almost 200 feet and is around $250.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera:

1642810698566.png

Make sure you look at the LPR subforum:

LPR
Licence Plate Reader cameras

As well as these threads:

New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin
Thought I would throw together a post on my experiences so far with LPR in an effort to help others that are considering running down that rabbit hole. There are some practical considerations you should know about LPR. I am approaching this from the position of using Blue Iris and Plate...

LPR Case Study: Scoping, Planning, Proof of Concept, Installation, & Results
Introduction This thread is about my journey into LPR (License Plate Recognition) after having about 18 months of experience with IP cams and having quite a bit of my system finished. I am not an expert on LPR, or IP cameras either. But I have spent a lot of time working with my system and...

Use of Overview and LPR Cams to Document Midnight Vehicle Distributing Offensive Flyers on Lawns
We were out of town and I was checking my cams remotely one morning and noticed one of the Deputies that regularly patrol my subdivision had been at my front door. She has come to me a few times requesting video as she knows I have fairly good coverage of the streets at my corner. I noticed that...

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
or just accept that the camera will be able to allow them to pull up the video and manually read it.
So basically I would set it up to detect motion and they would pull out the video and check the license plate. Which is perfectly fine.

How far away are the plates from where the camera would be (and recognize most people underestimate distance, so 50 feet ends up actually being 80 feet when you install it)?
I am contractor so I have fairly good sense of distance. :) But I get your point. I am still claiming 30" max. That said I would rather get Z12E and be safe.

The reason most opt for the Z12E is because it's optical zoom is incredible (up to 64mm focal length). The goal is to get clean capture of plates without having to digital zoom and guess. If you have a good angle, this camera can get plates up to 190ish feet away.

Got it. I think the camera location will be pretty much ideal so no need for digital zoom.

Keep in mind that LPR is as much an art as it is a science. It is all about optical zoom, not digital, especially at night. And proper shutter speed. The Z12E is the cheapest they come with that much optical zoom for up to almost 200 feet and is around $250.
That was my another question. I have looked up Dahua LPR cameras and 2MP IR License Plate Recognition Camera (10 mm to 50 mm Vari-focal Lens) ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B is over $900. That is pretty pricey.
I am basically dipping my toes into this because I have done some other AV work for them and they want me to do some cameras.

I am assuming Z12E will work with existing NVR just fine, correct?

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plat
I've done a lot of photography with DSLR camera so I understand pretty well the issue with exposure. That's why this camera would be setup specifically to capture the plates and nothing else.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Money is not an issue with these people so Z12E will be good option.

Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you will not be disappointed with the -HFW5241E-Z12E I just purchased this one from Andy on this forum took 3 day to deliver. give him a shout out.

Reaction score
Realize that the above recommendations are for a cam (5241 z12) which is NOT designed for LPR. It is a cam that lots of us USE for LPR. This is just a good prosumer, long focal length cam. Most of us using these are really 'hobbyists' and not professionals. This cam does not automatically capture the plate.

Since you have a 'customer' that wants to do LPR, that implies you are a security cam business and as such should really be thinking along professional lines. See the below link for a cam that is more of a professional LPR cam.

Additionally, maybe @Wildcat_1 or @EMPIRETECANDY can recommend more professional LPR cams.

Charles_CO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Realize that the above recommendations are for a cam (5241 z12) which is NOT designed for LPR. It is a cam that lots of us USE for LPR. This is just a good prosumer, long focal length cam. Most of us using these are really 'hobbyists' and not professionals. This cam does not automatically capture the plate.

Since you have a 'customer' that wants to do LPR, that implies you are a security cam business and as such should really be thinking along professional lines. See the below link for a cam that is more of a professional LPR cam.

Additionally, maybe @Wildcat_1 or @EMPIRETECANDY can recommend more professional LPR cams.
Good point and I will check out the camera. In this case it is really just homeowner that wants to be able to read license plate of cars going on his driveway. It is not business and nothing mission critical. We just need to add complimentary camera to existing camera for license plates.
I will definitely read up on true LPR solution for the future.

Thanks!