Camera Recommendation?

mpking828

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using Milestone Xprotect essential for a few years now with 3 camera's.
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW
(2) DLink 942L

All 3 are setup and work fine, but the microphone is disabled. (Seems like it's almost a requirement based on all the forums I've read)

I need to enable the microphone. I also want to replace the Dlink camera's (the video quality is junk).

Anyone have a camera recommendation that will allow Milestone Xprotect essentials to use the Microphone as well? (Not married to anyone brand).

As you can see from my previous selections, I do like the small square camera's, but I can make anything work. Currently the two Dlink's are wireless, but I am equipped to pull in Cat 5e/6 and run PoE. (The Hikvision is already PoE).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using Milestone Xprotect essential for a few years now with 3 camera's.
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW
(2) DLink 942L

All 3 are setup and work fine, but the microphone is disabled. (Seems like it's almost a requirement based on all the forums I've read)

I need to enable the microphone. I also want to replace the Dlink camera's (the video quality is junk).

Anyone have a camera recommendation that will allow Milestone Xprotect essentials to use the Microphone as well? (Not married to anyone brand).

As you can see from my previous selections, I do like the small square camera's, but I can make anything work. Currently the two Dlink's are wireless, but I am equipped to pull in Cat 5e/6 and run PoE. (The Hikvision is already PoE).
Welcome mp

A lot of us like the Dahua OEM starlights for cameras which work well in low light conditions.
If you need a low light camera I would recommend checking out the notes and take a look at possible models which may work well for you.
( most of us are picking up the turret version either IPC-HDW5231xx or IPC-HDW42xx )
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

mpking828

n3wb
Reaction score
So those model number lead to many threads discussing those camera's at length. Taking the advice of the group mind, the IPC-HDW5231xx seems to be what I'm looking for. (Awesome write up on the 42xx on one of the threads here. Camera quaility is so much better than I expected.)

Even found Andy's contact info.

Thanks for the direction, it led me to where I wanted to go. Of course, now I want to add more camera's, in addition to just replacing the two that I have issues with.

Any recommendation on a camera to cover a driveway? Mounted up about 30 feet on the side of a house, driveway located about 30 feet from the base of the house. As I look at the spec sheet, those you linked to me are IP67, so is that waterproof enough to be mounted outside? So same camera? The microphone is immaterial for outdoor use. Not sure if there was a more inexpensive camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any recommendation on a camera to cover a driveway? Mounted up about 30 feet on the side of a house, driveway located about 30 feet from the base of the house. As I look at the spec sheet, those you linked to me are IP67, so is that waterproof enough to be mounted outside? So same camera? The microphone is immaterial for outdoor use. Not sure if there was a more inexpensive camera.
Hi mpking,

30 feet high, is rather high for most of us looking to have a chance to ID suspects. Maybe fun to put a 2mp starlight PTZ that high if you get any good scenic views. Of course if you have neighbors next door, they may not like it too much.

If you need a low light camera I would consider the IPC-HDW5231xx as the first option as the varifocal zoom range is a good start. There are bullet versions which have a more powerful "zoom" if you need that, and 8mp / 4K UHD versions if you need daytime cover with details at the expense of better low light coverage.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any cam mounted higher than 8ft, will have a small chance of id'ing anyone.
Keep in mind that a 2.8mm lens, the perp would need to be within 10-15ft of the cam for any chance of an id.
Read the cliff notes in the Wiki at the top of the page.

Last edited: