camera resolution vs frame rate?

Reaction score
it's a bit too late to say you should have gotten a set of 2k or some other camera. I have the Annke C800 5K units and they are installed. Where i would like help or guidance on is there resolution setup of the units. They are a 5K camera so is it best to run them at the full native resolution of 3840x2160 at 15 fps, or to drop and slightly crop the view and run the unit at 2592x1944 at 30 fps. you are getting a slightly cropped view. i don't think the camera is actually re-scale the picture size, rather just cropping the sensor image and as it's processing less, it can do it at double the frame rate. Does frame rate on a camera trump image size? Or more importantly, is this something of any benefit for what you are recording?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're making a Hollyweird movie, 30fps is fine. If you've got unlimited disk space and are recording for surveillance 24/7, 30fps is fine. Most find 15fps good for surveillance purposes to keep disk space a little more manageable. Resolution doesn't care about frame rate, other than at higher resolution more disk space is used. It is more important to set the bit rate to get the best possible video. I don't have any Annke cameras other an a 2MP that's a little older now, so I can't really say what the C800/5K does as far as cropping with reduced resolution.

Keep in mind that while the output image is at a reduced resolution the actual video coming off the sensor is still at 5K or whatever the "native" resolution of the sensor is.