Camera selection help...

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance from the brain trust for actual camera selection based upon our layout and known distances. This is a new construction, the known distances are identified in red. For example, from the cameras to the rear of the house to the road are 150' from the road. The rear cameras to the edge of the property line which is wooded is 50' and so on and so on. Based on previous reads from @nayr, I don't see the Dahua Turrets working for purposes of identification which is the goal. The street is very dark and there are no street lights etc so the Starlights are the go to cameras. I've got the inside covered thanks to @looney. On the inside of the garage, a turret would be fine I am sure. FWIW, I've spent some time in the LPR section due to distances and have a general idea on cameras but, nothing like opinions from those with experience.

Having said that, if you were going to use this as a guide which actual cameras would you use and why?Master-Floor-Plan-V2cams.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe think about it differently. While you may wish to see 150ft, to positively "Identify" at that range will require a zoomed in lens, reducing your overall field of view. Do you really need positive facial ID at that distance? I have cams that easily see that far, but I wont get positive ID until they are more like 30ft out.

2MP 52XX series Starlights rule unless you want to step up to the $800-1000 ea. range

If you need both, it may require two cameras... see example pics below. The tag cam (5231E-Z12 bullet) is looking approx 120ft. The overview cam (5231E-Z bullet) sees that far and more, but you're not going to get positive facial recognition at that distance, 30-40 ft maybe.

Attachments

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks you make a good point and we’re approaching $400K as it is and we own the land so $1K cams aren’t going to happen lol. Ok so if I focus on observing at 100’ plus and being able to identify at 60’ and under it may be more realistic. My boat is going on the right side of the house in a long 40’ extended pad.

With being able to ID at say under 60’ what are my cam options in your opinion? I may put 2 cams in a couple of areas but perhaps not. From the front of the house in area of door to end of driveway it’s about 60’ so I’d like to be able to ID at that range and about the same in rear.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Id stick with the Dahua 52xx series turret in most locations, the Z5 could help with a bit more available zoom on those long shots.... maybe supplement with some 4K cams 58xx series which would help ID further out during the day knowing you'll lose some night quality... though the other thing to consider is white light. I have some powerful white light at the driveway, fr door and rear side of my home all on from dusk to dawn. Allows me to get excellent quality color nighttime images in key spots..

Perhaps one of the Pro's will stop by with better specific advice..

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Big. I’ll have several lights in key areas.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I may have already pointed this out, but be sure to give this a whirl.
IPVM Camera Calculator V3
Thanks sure have, to best honest I get a better gauge looking at videos here and gathering info on distances etc such as I did on your 5231 post. It’d be sweet if Dahua comes out with a 4K line up with same versions as the 52XX cams, Starlight Bullet/Turret and Varifocal with same low light capability with 4K resolution.