Camera settings vs. BI settings?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got my BI PC going a bit ago, cameras linked in, and basic continuous record working. There is a ton of stuff in there to go through.

What I'm not clear on at the moment is camera function vs BI function. Do I turn off as much stuff as possible in the cameras, e.g. motion alerts, tripwires, email notifications, etc., then run all that with BI? Or?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera simply provides images to Blue Iris and Blue Iris does motion detection, tripwires, text/email notifications, alerts, and recording. You adjust each camera to provide the best possible image and Blue Iris does everything else.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
one CAN set things up so BI gets 'alarms' from the cam that's doing motion detection, etc, but I think most people don't bother as BI is typical MUCH better at all those things than most cams...

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe I am correct in saying that BI does not control fps or image size, regardless of what you put in the 'camera properties' in BI under 'video'. Your camera video settings control that. So if you wish the fps to be 10fps, then set that in your camera as well as image size say 1920 x 1080.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK. That explains why messing around with the max(?) FPS in BI didn't seem to change anything in terms of the KB/s it was reporting per camera. I'm going to try it lowering (in the cameras) from 15FPS to 10FPS.