Camera settings with nvr

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score

I have this system and I find it hard that I can’t even zoom in on a stopped car and make out the license plate that was less than 40 feet from camera. What are some things I need to change or fix. I have tried on 1080p settings and 4K settings.

also thank you in advance!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are wide angle fixed lens cameras, not generally suitable for capturing license plates.

show us a picture looking from the camera location to the point where you want to capture plates.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
So I had a car stop do a 3 point turn and this is as good of a plate as I could get. I figured out it was a neighbor but i have 2 cameras in front that cross each other, one set 1080p 30 frames and the other 4K 15 frames. Should I be changing some of these cameras out?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By the looks of the photo, (which I assume you cropped and zoomed in digitally)you don’t have enough zoom on those cameras for LPR. It's also a bad angle for tag capture..

Suggest you read up on the LPR forum, LPR
License plate capture is part art part science and typically done with a dedicated camera that only views about the width of a car. You wont see anything else.

The cameras you have are fine for overview, but with a wide angle 2.8mm lens they're not suitable for zoomed in details at that distance.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @bigredfish that the wide angle fixed will not get you what you want (LPR or just clearer plates) in this case. Also when you talk about zoom from the NVR remember that on fixed lens cams the zoom is only digital not optical therefore really should not be used as you just degrade the image further.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. Any low/moderately priced cameras that would work with the lorex NVR I should consider upgrading to? I think I should have done more research before just purchasing!

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I really don't need an LPR, probably something that can give me better details over all. A house one street over from me got broken into and they passed my house as well. So I just want to power up the surveillance system overall. I will have to do a little more self research to see what type of lens will be best as well. I picked the system because 2 way audio and sirens but the ai detection is terrible compared to the cheap WYZE cameras which have the people detection. So i get tons of false notifications, no matter how many different ways I try.

Last edited:

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I really don't need an LPR, probably something that can give me better details over all. A house one street over from me got broken into and they passed my house as well. So I just want to power up the surveillance system overall. I will have to do a little more self research to see what type of lens will be best as well. I picked the system because 2 way audio and sirens but the ai detection is terrible compared to the cheap WYZE cameras which have the people detection. So i get tons of false notifications, no matter how many different ways I try.
I use a 25x ptz for close up plate capture during daytime. I eventually will get lpr cam for nighttime.

Attachments

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
Beautiful camera angle and view, up to what speed would it catch a plate? Do you mind telling me what camera it is?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I have this system and I find it hard that I can’t even zoom in on a stopped car and make out the license plate that was less than 40 feet from camera. What are some things I need to change or fix. I have tried on 1080p settings and 4K settings.

also thank you in advance!
Hi @Luniz97

pixel density and angles.

It's all about getting enough effective pixels on target.

At 40 feet away.. a wide FOV camera will not have enough pixels on target to get you a good enough detailed image for a license plate capture. ( iirc the camera you have has an ID distance theoretical of about 20 feet ( that is to the 100 ppf density line ), multiply that by 100/60 for license plates and that would apply to a straight on shot under good light conditions. ( ans is about 33 feet )

If you need better results, augment that kit with a good varifocal Dahua OEM camera. See the Lorex thread on how to add Dahua OEM cameras to a Lorex kit. ( not hard, but you do need to sync IP info and user / password as well as set the appropriate substream info for the OSD ( on screen display ).

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cant read plate at night but can make out vehicle description. Eventually i will get bigredfish’s lpr cam.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Iphone video of my 50” monitor/nvr from monday night storm. My lights reflect off snow.