Camera Setup Question -- Will this work!

Hawkins

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All. Sorry newer to forums so don't blast me too hard.

I am looking to pick up the SD6CE225U-HNI . I like the fact is scans and I think buying this may help me cut down the number of security camera's I need for total home surveillance. Sure maybe it's overkill but will be mounting on eaves 30-40 feet in the air (due to sloping yard) and this will be overwatching a 180 degree area that goes approx 80 ft on right, 90 ft straight out, and 50 ft on left. At the 90ft straight, my yard continues to slope downward so this may be the equivalent of 110 ft given the height and length.

First of all, is the scan feature "quick enough to give me a good scan? This camera won't necessarily be picking up the entrances to my house but will be an overall scan of backyard. I will have more focused cameras at the entrances. I do like the fact that if it sees something, it will track and zoom as needed if I understand the capability correctly.

Two: Do you recommend something else for this use? This seems to be the best of what I can find that doesn't break the bank too much. Note that I am assuming cost of this is around $400-500?

Three: Where should I buy something like this? Is this a Tech Andy product? I have not found any reputable websites that sell this. Where would one buy this?

Four: Any issues with this camera and the Blue Iris software?

Thanks for your help!
Hawkins

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That will not work. It is impossible for that camera to properly cover 180 degrees. You wont be monitoring that camera 24/7. See 4mp starlights with 1/1.8 in sensors.

Hawkins

n3wb
Reaction score
That will not work. It is impossible for that camera to properly cover 180 degrees. You wont be monitoring that camera 24/7. See 4mp starlights with 1/1.8 in sensors.
Thanks for the response (note that I am new and learning). Will the camera scan 180 degrees but it's just not suggested. Note that my 180 may be a bit of an overstretch -- but tthe goal would be to get wide area protection that will have zoom capabilities if needed to focus at 100ft or so given my mount points and area to be covered. I liked the 25x zoom and as mentioned, this camera will not necessarily be watching over entrances but just the pathway to the entrances. I wasn't sure if viewing angles this high up would be sufficient or not. Also, I am trying to be cognizant of my wire runs and making best use of coverage vs. wire runs.

As to the 4mp starlights that you mentioned, do you have any immediate reccomendations? Is this one of the better ones (N45DL7Z)?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response (note that I am new and learning). Will the camera scan 180 degrees but it's just not suggested. Note that my 180 may be a bit of an overstretch -- but tthe goal would be to get wide area protection that will have zoom capabilities if needed to focus at 100ft or so given my mount points and area to be covered. I liked the 25x zoom and as mentioned, this camera will not necessarily be watching over entrances but just the pathway to the entrances. I wasn't sure if viewing angles this high up would be sufficient or not. Also, I am trying to be cognizant of my wire runs and making best use of coverage vs. wire runs.

As to the 4mp starlights that you mentioned, do you have any immediate reccomendations? Is this one of the better ones (N45DL7Z)?

Thanks
The scan is worthless if its looking in the wrong direction. You cannot ever replace fixed cameras with a ptz. You dont want a dome camera outdoors. Turret or bullet only.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use two IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras to cover the areas. The general rule of thumb is that the PTZ camera will be pointing in the wrong direction when the action occurs.

Also If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)

Hawkins

n3wb
Reaction score
Use two IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras to cover the areas. The general rule of thumb is that the PTZ camera will be pointing in the wrong direction when the action occurs.

Also If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
Thanks for information here. I guess my reasoning for the scan feature was that it would be a broad overwatch but I wouldn't necessarily rely on this because it's not an entry point to the house but it would give some general oversight. All entry ways to the backyard are covered so this would really supplement. All entry points to the house will have camera features that are more high quality and would have ability for facial recognition and zoom and what not.

I'll check out the IPC-T5442TM-AS. Given my house, I cannot avoid the 7ft height issue. I have to balance exterior appearance with quality and exterior appearance prevails for the most part. All the network cables were also already run as well which makes adjusting locations a little bit more difficult. Luckily I do not leave in a high crime (or remotely close to a high crime -- it's pretty low key here) or suspect area so the traffic I get is minimal -- all of this is merely precautionary or me just nerding out a bit.

Thanks for the information though. I do have a Wedge camera already (mini dome) and am anxious to get that up in running.

Reaction score
Well since you seem to be set on a PTZ, do a search of the forum for reviews. Search for the word REVIEW in titles only. Check out the reviews by @Wildcat_1 as he has done a few reviews of large PTZ cameras.
Some of them below:

Read the Cliff Notes.

Hawkins

n3wb
Reaction score
Well since you seem to be set on a PTZ, do a search of the forum for reviews. Search for the word REVIEW in titles only. Check out the reviews by @Wildcat_1 as he has done a few reviews of large PTZ cameras.
Some of them below:

Read the Cliff Notes.
Thanks for this. I'll def. browse around. Also, i am not necessarily set on PTZ, just seemed to be functional for this application. I will def. be doing more homework on this.

Thanks!