Camera setup

Reaction score
Hello! I've been looking around the forum and wiki but haven't been able to find an answer to my problem. If you know a post where I can go just point me in the right direction.

I'm setting up my cameras with blue iris and I just can't see the camera no matter how I've configured things. And I will admit I'm not super computer technical so I hope I'm missing something easy.

I'm stuck at one basic thing where people say to connect to the camera and change the IP address. I can't figure out how to do that. I've got the camera connected to the PoE switch and the switch connected to my computer but I put in the Dahau address into my browser and I get nothing. Says I'm not connected. One of my issues is that I don't have broadband internet and so my router is essentially a cell phone Hotspot with unlimited data and it only has one ethernet port. So I don't know how to connect to my computer, the internet and the PoE switch at the same time if that is needed.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need more info about my set up let me know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your internal IP address (LAN) is probably different than the default IP address of the Dahua OEM cams. The default IP address for Dahua cams is 192.168.1.108.

The easiest way is to take a laptop (if it has an ethernet port) or a tower and turn off wifi and connect the camera cable to the laptop (obviously you need power so if it is on a POE switch then connect a cable from the switch to the computer).

Then go into ethernet settings and manually change the IP address of the laptop to 192.168.1.100.

Then go to a browser and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Then change the camera to the IP address range of your home network (using the IPv4 settings), but have the last digits something not already assigned.

Then go back into ethernet settings and change the computer IP address back to what it was previously (probably DHCP)

Then replug in everything like it was and proceed from there.

Or download Dahua toolbox and run the batch config tool where you can Initialize the camera and change it's IP, but most of us do what I mentioned.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use the config tool remember that you can only have one new camera plugged in at a time because they all use the same address of 192.168.1.108

Reaction score
Your internal IP address (LAN) is probably different than the default IP address of the Dahua OEM cams. The default IP address for Dahua cams is 192.168.1.108.

The easiest way is to take a laptop (if it has an ethernet port) or a tower and turn off wifi and connect the camera cable to the laptop (obviously you need power so if it is on a POE switch then connect a cable from the switch to the computer).

Then go into ethernet settings and manually change the IP address of the laptop to 192.168.1.100.

Then go to a browser and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Then change the camera to the IP address range of your home network, but have the last digits something not already assigned.

Then go back into ethernet settings and change the computer IP address back to what it was previously (probably DHCP)

Then replug in everything like it was and proceed from there.

Or download Dahua toolbox and run the batch config tool where you can Initialize the camera and change it's IP, but most of us do what I mentioned.
Thank you for the very easy to understand answer.

I'm trying to change my computer IP address and under the edit IP settings there is IPv4 and IPv6. Which of those two do I change and then it also needs a subtext prefix length, a gateway, a preferred DNS and Alternate DNS. Won't take the IP address if I leave those blank.

Reaction score
Ok. No joy. Thank you for the screen shots. I was in a different spot. But I changed them where you showed me and I went to my browser and it gave me the "You're not connected" message again.

My camera appears to be receiving power so I think that cable is good. But what type of cable should I have to go from my switch to back of the computer? I have the cable that comes out of my "router" moved over. Do I need something different?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you oughta be able to plug your computer into the POE switch, and then go to a Command Prompt, and type in Ipconfig /all and see who is at what address.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you manually make the 192.168.1.100?
if so go back and reset everything back to dhcp.
see what your Cellular modem assigns you as an IP.
If it falls into the 192.168.001.xxx Net, then you can find your camera.
If the cellular modem is on a 10.10.10.xxx Net,
then you'll have to go back to Wittaj's post, and try and do a direct connect with the Cam.
have tried a FIND/Inspect yet? in BI?