Camera shows up on NVR console, not NVR web or mobile viewing APP

Eric H

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Night Owl NVR (model NVRH5-4BU-842). Its an eight-channel 4k-capable system which included four PoE camera.

I have a Amcrest Pro 4MP PoE camera (model IP4M-1025EB) which works fine with the NVR. Granted, it was not 'plug and play', but after playing around I got things working (ONVIF).

I have a TrendNET 3MP PoE camera (model TV-IP310PI) which is visible via the physical NVR console (monitor connected direly to the NVR), but not viable via the web or mobile interfaces.

I don't know what to begin troubleshooting. Does anybody know what protocol/ports are used within the NVR for 'remote access' (web/mobile)? Again, I can see the camera output clear as day if I am physically viewing the NVR console. I cannot see the camera output anywhere else. This only happens with the TrendNET cameras, the Amcrest camera works fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an open ticket with Night owl - waiting on their customer support (not holding my breath)...

Eric H

n3wb
Reaction score
I seem to have resolved this on my own. I did not have my sub-stream configured for H.265. Toggling between my sub-stream and my main-stream brought the image online in the web app (web app was set to view sub stream - which was incorrectly configured), and fixing the sub-stream codec within the camera UI fixed the mobile app.

So that's fixed.

Now onto motion detection and why it's not recording either of my two third-party cameras...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think you'll get motion recording compatibility. Expect only 24/7 recording.

cre8ful

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Night Owl NVR (model NVRH5-4BU-842). Its an eight-channel 4k-capable system which included four PoE camera.

I have a Amcrest Pro 4MP PoE camera (model IP4M-1025EB) which works fine with the NVR. Granted, it was not 'plug and play', but after playing around I got things working (ONVIF).

I have a TrendNET 3MP PoE camera (model TV-IP310PI) which is visible via the physical NVR console (monitor connected direly to the NVR), but not viable via the web or mobile interfaces.

I don't know what to begin troubleshooting. Does anybody know what protocol/ports are used within the NVR for 'remote access' (web/mobile)? Again, I can see the camera output clear as day if I am physically viewing the NVR console. I cannot see the camera output anywhere else. This only happens with the TrendNET cameras, the Amcrest camera works fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an open ticket with Night owl - waiting on their customer support (not holding my breath)...

I have the same NVR system and could not get any third party camera to work even when it is ONVIF compatible. Can you please help and provide steps you did you manually add the camera?

Eric H

n3wb
Reaction score
This took me a while to figure out, and I'm a network engineer by trade. There's zero documentation and zero support from Night owl (support is awful). Expect some trial and error.

The ONVIF cameras that you purchase will have some kind of configuration software which will allow you to assign a static IP address to them. You will need to purchase a PoE power injector, thus allowing you to power up the camera BEFORE you connect it to the NVR. You will power the camera via the PoE injector, and connect the camera to your local network. From there you will need to run the camera's propriety software and assign a static IP address to the camera. The static IP address should be on the same network subnet that the internal NVR switch uses (i.e.: the same subnet that the NVR assigns to your cameras). Once you have a IP address assigned (along with a username and password for the camera... FYI I recommend you change the camera password so it's not the same as it came from the factory), you will then connect the device to your NVR. The device will not automatically show up. You will need to use the NVR's console connection (must be physically at the NVR and connect mouse/monitor), and then from there you will select a new (empty) channel and choose to add STATIC. Once you de-select dynamic and select static a box will appear prompting you to input the addressing for the new camera. Input the new cameras IP address, username, password, and PORT (port will probably be 80). You should see the camera come up. You will (probably) not have motion detection, but IMO continuous recording is better anyway.

I hope this helps get you going. The first time I did this it took me a few hours to figure out and as I mentioned, I do this kind of stuff for a living.

I operate an IT consulting practice. I'm not sure if you're local (I'm about 30 miles east of New York City), but if you get stumped, I can help you out. I won't help for free, but my rates are reasonable. I could provide remote support if need be. We can do screen sharing for the camera setup and since we have the same NVR units, I should be able to walk you through the NightOwl piece...