Camera Spec vs Use-Case

bigeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
One the the areas I'm planning to put a camera is in the corner of my carport above the side door to my house and the door to the storeroom holding my IT equipment. Obviously, this area get pretty dark with occasional bright lights from passing traffic...

What I'm most concerned about with any camera i may buy is close range IR performance. Many cameras I've seen white-out faces at closer range. And given that part of my requirement is that camera footage be good enough for evidence purposes that isn't really good enough.

So, given the above, can anyone recommend camera brands/models that will fit the bill at a decent price? I've been looking at 8MP Dahua domes in the expectation that extra pixels and newer tech will improve the nighttime imaging. But I'm open to suggestions...

Regards,
Dave

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking higher MP cameras such as 4K produce worse images in low light than 2MP cameras.

The Dahua cameras with Smart IR do a pretty good job of adjusting to close range objects.

Another option that I use in such dark spots is a relatively inexpensive Mr Beams 500lumen motion light. Can't beat white light.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
One the the areas I'm planning to put a camera is in the corner of my carport above the side door to my house and the door to the storeroom holding my IT equipment. Obviously, this area get pretty dark with occasional bright lights from passing traffic...

What I'm most concerned about with any camera i may buy is close range IR performance. Many cameras I've seen white-out faces at closer range. And given that part of my requirement is that camera footage be good enough for evidence purposes that isn't really good enough.

So, given the above, can anyone recommend camera brands/models that will fit the bill at a decent price? I've been looking at 8MP Dahua domes in the expectation that extra pixels and newer tech will improve the nighttime imaging. But I'm open to suggestions...

Regards,
Dave
If not already, start here: Cliff Notes