camera suggestion for web cam with advertising

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am working toward installing a web cam for the purposes of selling advertising. We had one at this location a few years ago but took it down. Still have the original camera but it's old technology and really needs an update.

The camera will be mounted to an antenna mast and fairly high up so access for maintenance will be somewhat of a pain. Needs to be a PTZ with at least a 25x zoom. Web users can take control of the camera and move to various presets. On the original setup users could zoom pan and tilt with a browser control, but we'll probably only have presents on this one.

I've been looking at Brownrice for the camera feed. We did our own setup last time but their's looks like a good out of the box alternative with pretty much what I want. They recommend Axis hardware and it gets sort of pricey. Just wondering if there are other good reliable cameras that might fit the bill?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll probably want something with a wiper, like this: SD6AL230F-HNI | Dahua Technology

Looks like most cameras would work with brownrice's service. Some cameras are higher resolution, but that means more bandwidth (the price difference isn't always that large).
Dahua has a lot of cameras that would work well (broken down by series: ultra, pro, lite and then resolution). The higher end models that are the best quality and include things like wipers aren't cheap, but an equivalent Axis is much more. There are lots of sample videos and images from various cameras here, but it takes some time to find them. Member @jmcu has posted videos from a lot of Dahua's higher end PTZ cameras

What's your budget? Cameras without wipers are significantly less

Contact @EMPIRETECANDY for pricing on cameras your interested in.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
You'll probably want something with a wiper, like this: SD6AL230F-HNI | Dahua Technology

Looks like most cameras would work with brownrice's service. Some cameras are higher resolution, but that means more bandwidth (the price difference isn't always that large).
Dahua has a lot of cameras that would work well (broken down by series: ultra, pro, lite and then resolution). The higher end models that are the best quality and include things like wipers aren't cheap, but an equivalent Axis is much more. There are lots of sample videos and images from various cameras here, but it takes some time to find them. Member @jmcu has posted videos from a lot of Dahua's higher end PTZ cameras

What's your budget? Cameras without wipers are significantly less

Contact @EMPIRETECANDY for pricing on cameras your interested in.
if have better budget, just cost a little more to get a 45X zoom, SD6AL245U-HNI, this one is fantastic.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua are the ones I've been considering. Hadn't really thought about a wiper version. Do the wipers work on their own or do you have to tell them to wipe?

Wasn't sure if the Dahua would be up to task with minimal maintenance etc. Don't really want to have to climb up this antenna tower to make an adjustment. It's kinda breezy up there.
Don't really think the IR is necessary as most of the locations would be city scenes and self illuminated. I'm familiar with EmpireCandy and have looked at some of his non-pro models in the $600 range.

Really haven't settled on a budget. I'd like to do it as economically as possible. Not sure yet how much of a revenue stream this might be. Previously it was just free to use and we did not try and monetize it. There have been a number of requests from the community for it to be back in action. Just don't know if advertisers will come around. Guess we'll have to see how many eyeballs it garners.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The wiper work on their own, there has setting. It's useful at heavy rain or snow. Normal model can use SD6CE245U-HNI, looney already make some testing report on the forum.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The wiper work on their own, there has setting. It's useful at heavy rain or snow. Normal model can use SD6CE245U-HNI, looney already make some testing report on the forum.
I was reading his review earlier this evening. I may go with one of those for my house! Was going to get a 30x, but this one really looks nice and I noticed it shows up to 95% humidity rather than 90 for the others.
In the webcam usage the wiper would need to automatic in some way when needed since there would not be a way for the user to activate it.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
On the Dahua ultra series with wipers, there is a auto setting for the wiper..it does a pretty good job of coming on when it senses rain.

But to be honest, the wipers suck.. I have not had very good luck with any of them except to knock a spider or two off.

The heater and fan inside keep them pretty clear and if drops get on them.. they evaporate very quickly.

Last edited: