Camera switches between color and IR... interference?

deltapapa

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought two of these covert IP cams: Online Shop 1080P 940nm IR 10m HD Realtime Wired Onvif PIR Style PoE IP Camera With Invisible IR Night Vision+Audio In,Onvif,P2P View | Aliexpress Mobile and installed them in my house with cat5e. One of the cameras wouldn’t quit switching between color and IR even though there was plenty of ambient light in the room. I suspected a camera problem, but when I swapped cameras, the other did it too. So, I changed ports on the POE switch as well as rebuilt both ends of the cable with no luck.

So, I am suspecting either interference or cable damage now. It is the longest run in the house at around 85 feet (theoretically shouldn’t be a problem) and does come near some electrical wires and runs along with some coax for a little ways as well. Is it possible that this is being caused by some kind of interference or should I just pull this cable and run another. Thanks!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd make up a long temporary patch cable to isolate if it's a problem with the cable, the camera location, or the cameras themselves. Could be the POE power, too.

deltapapa

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd make up a long temporary patch cable to isolate if it's a problem with the cable, the camera location, or the cameras themselves. Could be the POE power, too.
I'll definitely try that - just hoping I don't have to run it again as it's a pain to run where this one goes. Didn't know if there were any documented cases of interference causing something like that.