Camera system for small restaurant

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is looking to upgrade their very old 6 camera system and would like to have around 12-14 camera's total after this new "upgrade".

I'm looking for suggestions on brands, and places to buy (complete packages would be nice). I'm familiar with running network cable (IT background) and have setup a small IP camera setup at my house as well.

For the restaurant and IP based camera system is preferred along with an easy to use NVR that he can use to access it via his phone.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is looking to upgrade their very old 6 camera system and would like to have around 12-14 camera's total after this new "upgrade".

I'm looking for suggestions on brands, and places to buy (complete packages would be nice). I'm familiar with running network cable (IT background) and have setup a small IP camera setup at my house as well.

For the restaurant and IP based camera system is preferred along with an easy to use NVR that he can use to access it via his phone.
Hi @Eric

Ideally go through the layout and ask what he wants to accomplish.

Count the cash being passed?
ID people coming in and out?
Watch for vandals / thieves at night?
Check on workers?

Check out the DORI section of the cliff notes.

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ideally go through the layout and ask what he wants to accomplish.
I actually paid him a visit today and we did just that. He's wanting to cover both the front and back doors, the kitchen and serving areas, and the bar, cashier station, and the dining area.

The purpose mostly is in the event their is a robbery or theft (thus the cashier station being covered).

And yes the ability to check in on workers remotely thus the request for being able to view on this phone - something he can't right now

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually paid him a visit today and we did just that. He's wanting to cover both the front and back doors, the kitchen and serving areas, and the bar, cashier station, and the dining area.

The purpose mostly is in the event their is a robbery or theft (thus the cashier station being covered).

And yes the ability to check in on workers remotely thus the request for being able to view on this phone - something he can't right now
Hi @Eric

So he will probably need different cameras for different positions / functional purposes.

The members here like the 4MP Dahua OEM 1/1.8" sensor models for low light conditions, and in general prefer turrets.

They also prefer to combine these with Blue Iris VMS software running on a decent i5/i7 PC ( perhaps now even newer AMD chips - but you will need to check that ... AMD was not preferred when I was looking )

and a external IP PoE switch.

For areas with good lighting, I like 8MP 1/1.8" sensor cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 or @looney2ns - do you guys have a couple places in mind where you'd suggest buying from? Nellys Security?
HI Eric,

Nelly's has a good reputation for customer service and is listed in the vendor section here.

iirc we only have vendors which the core ipcamtalk team approves of.

I've sourced cameras from many places, and from each of the vendors we have listed. All vendors we have listed I've liked.