Camera system installation

m4gnum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I just purchased a house and I want to upgrade it with a camera system. I already bought a sff PC so I will probably go with Blue Iris. I also have a Ring Doorbell. I will probably wire the house with Cat6. I am low on budget so I dont want to overpay too much for the cameras so I would prefer to stay below $50 per camera.

What camera would you recommend?
Could you please help me plan the camera setting strategically based on the attached pic?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. I just purchased a house and I want to upgrade it with a camera system. I already bought a sff PC so I will probably go with Blue Iris. I also have a Ring Doorbell. I will probably wire the house with Cat6. I am low on budget so I dont want to overpay too much for the cameras so I would prefer to stay below $50 per camera.

What camera would you recommend?
Could you please help me plan the camera setting strategically based on the attached pic?

Hi @m4gnum

It will be very challenging to find decent IP PoE cameras at < $50 each.

If you can hold off on buying cameras, often there are deals around BF-cyberweek on kits from various vendors.

Otherwise plan to spend about $120 per camera - unless crazy trade war tariff things happen

Last edited:

m4gnum

n3wb
Reaction score
I will buy just the must have cameras and upgrade the system gradually. I will also look for used cameras.

What are your thoughts about one of those: Amcrest, LaView, Lorex, Reolink, Foscam, Swann?

What camera (or specs) would you recommend and how to place them?

Thank you in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will buy just the must have cameras and upgrade the system gradually. I will also look for used cameras.

What are your thoughts about one of those: Amcrest, LaView, Lorex, Reolink, Foscam, Swann?

Thank you in advance!
HI @m4gnum

• DO NOT buy used cameras. If you do not know this space well you are more likely to be ripped off.
  • Please search the forum for those brands and remember each brand may carry various different OEMs and that means different quality of products. ( i.e. Ford, Toyota, Nissan,.. make some really nice cars I would recommend and some I would not recommend )
  • In terms of placement of cameras, please see the various recommendations in the cliff notes and posts others have done here on placement.

Zane

n3wb
Reaction score

I recommend you learn to search the forums, you aren't the first or last person that is going to come here wondering the same things... all of your questions have been asked before. The process of learning about these cameras, placement, brands, models, acronyms, etc.. takes time, so don't feel bad if you don't get it all right away.(try typing your question into google followed by site:ipcamtalk.com to get results from only here)

Welcome to the forum!