Camera to Cloud (no NVR) recording. Need help

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a way to set up my IP camera to record to a (Google) cloud drive, for free. I don't wish to pay those user interfaces to host this service for me. Is there a way to setup the camera to send its stream to be recorded non locally? I am familiar with rtsp but I don't know how to use that to send the stream to google drive or anything. I don't wish to use an nvr. I wish to have a pure camera to cloud system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not heard of such a thing existing. It may be possible with advanced hacking skills to rig the SD card of a camera to sync to a cloud storage service (google drive, dropbox, etc) but there is nothing I am aware of that will do this out-of-the-box.

You might consider using a small and inexpensive PC like a Raspberry Pi 2 as a NAS storage device and have it automatically sync the video storage directory with a cloud storage service.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not heard of such a thing existing. It may be possible with advanced hacking skills to rig the SD card of a camera to sync to a cloud storage service (google drive, dropbox, etc) but there is nothing I am aware of that will do this out-of-the-box.

You might consider using a small and inexpensive PC like a Raspberry Pi 2 as a NAS storage device and have it automatically sync the video storage directory with a cloud storage service.
My camera does not have any SD Card slot. I have a 5 megapixel Onvif IP Camera, brand name- generic. through an Onvif Device Manager along with logging into the camera through its IP address, I am able to gather and adjust a lot of information, but no section where to push the recording material except for local. I have an RTSP and IP and really that's it, no P2P info or anything. Maybe a QR code and thats it.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Howdy Bizintech! I'm a cam newbie and have no business competing with the awesome old timers in here, but just last night I was fiddling with TinyCamPro and rstp streaming and came across a free (some things) site called AngelCam. It was streaming in minutes and works, but I had to give up and go to bed before really learning much else about it. Give it a look and report back..it seems to do much of what you want. Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI,

bp2008 is right - there is no built-in feature. However some people have managed to get the camera to stream to Youtube's Live feature, using a media re-encoder in the middle.
Check out http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40424 and
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/gQ4eHxjDV4k

Cheers.
Interesting Solution. I can apply this information to one of my other projects!
I know the camera itself does not have anything built in to record video. Essentially, I am looking for some kind of Virtual-NVR. Some sort of interface where I can record the stream to Cloud storage. I know Angelcam, IPcamLive, and many other services provide a feature like this, but they want a monthly fee. I just want to send my stream someplace for recovery backup purposes. As for viewing the stream, I can do that on a mobile device.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alphawave7 I have a free account with angelcam. But they want money for the services I am looking for. Recording my footage on the cloud. I'm sure there is a way to somehow have my footage recorded by a virtual platform than dumped to my google drive for recovery (to view in VLC or something) at a later time without paying a premium.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you just wanted images, there's some scripts to extract image attachments from emails.

So process is, set up a new gmail recipient account (can auto forward to yourself if you want)
Set camera to email the new gmail account
Apply the scripts to extract images to google drive (of the gmail recipient account)
Share the google drive account with yourself - so you can browse all the images from your account.

Works pretty well - I use it for a couple of dlink cameras. I haven't yet adapted it for my dahua idb-hdb4300c - only because I parse the message slightly to get the camera name to create folders for each camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you just wanted images, there's some scripts to extract image attachments from emails.

So process is, set up a new gmail recipient account (can auto forward to yourself if you want)
Set camera to email the new gmail account
Apply the scripts to extract images to google drive (of the gmail recipient account)
Share the google drive account with yourself - so you can browse all the images from your account.

Works pretty well - I use it for a couple of dlink cameras. I haven't yet adapted it for my dahua idb-hdb4300c - only because I parse the message slightly to get the camera name to create folders for each camera.
Good idea!

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand. Is there a Virtual Recording Platform? Some VVR I guess? Essentially, I'd like for my clients to not have an NVR so I can store there footage in the cloud for a monthly fee. Plus, what if somebody were to steal the NVR? All that video footage is gone. What about a video backup solution? or a daily dump or something? Would an RTSP to VLC player (recording the footage) do the trick? Its a sloppy solution for multiple cameras, but theoretically I think it would work. Your thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand. Is there a Virtual Recording Platform? Some VVR I guess? Essentially, I'd like for my clients to not have an NVR so I can store there footage in the cloud for a monthly fee. Plus, what if somebody were to steal the NVR? All that video footage is gone. What about a video backup solution? or a daily dump or something? Would an RTSP to VLC player (recording the footage) do the trick? Its a sloppy solution for multiple cameras, but theoretically I think it would work. Your thoughts?
Storing video to the cloud uses tons of bandwidth unless the video us super compressed. There are already companies doing this, nestcam and the like. They use a propriety system. The biggest issue is that you cannot stream locally 24/7 to a monitor.
Why are you afraid of an NVR, that is the PROPER solution. NVR/DVR's are rarely stolen. The beauty of an NVR is that it can be placed ANYWHERE on the network so its easy to hide. You can even hide two of them for redundancy.
Forget about vlc..

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not afraid of an NVR. I run a business. And when I sell a client a camera system, well, i'm done with that share of income. I'd prefer to find a way to record their video on the cloud or have that video feed be recording on my server. This way I have a legitimate reason charge the client a monthly fee even after the install. They can also view live stream on their local computer through an NVR program (like CMS 2000 or something) and on mobile devices through a VS App, just gotta scan each cameras QR code, and done.
I guess the question I should be asking is, is there a way to forward their video feed over to my servers? I have no idea how angelcam and nestcam do this, but they do it.

jazzfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Grasshopper, I agree with your business model. Some day soon it will be a snap to do it directly to the cloud. For now, I'd work on a solution to get it into a machine at your (or who ever you pay) another site. RMR is the name of the game

Edrenalin

n3wb
Reaction score
Evening

Newbie here , Bizentech did you manage too use a pi to monitor your cam and send the videos too the cloud ?

Ian

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, what I did was use cameras with built in Micro SH slots and view footage on a mobile device or computer if need be. On the computer, I'd use the Hikvision Remote viewing tool.

briansong

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Mangocam. It is very cheap. You may probaby negotiate youself a free or discounted account for yourself with multiple referrals. They have a free account with I think 1gb that you could do ftp. Setup is easy and tech support great. No VPN though.

Edrenalin

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very limited on things like that , I purchased a camera that does not have a sd car slot on it :( , so have in all the record troubles

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ed, your probably limited to using the VMS software that came with your camera then. It's a little difficult to recommend how to help not knowing what cams you have.

P.S. You can record remotely using a VMS software. You have to add the remote address of cameras you want to access. For example http://<publicipaddress>:<commandport> command is usually 8080 or 8000

Edrenalin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply , it's a sricam sp 008 (non micro sd card) , I'm trying too use rasberry pi1 to record too

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sricam is a paperweight (to me at least)... that was the very first camera I purchased to test and it's literally just collecting dust now. A computer must be on all the time for the camera to record. I don't even think it's onvif complaint as I tried to hook it up to multiple NVR's and none of the NVR's recognized it. If you can return it, I'd recommend doing so. Check out some Hikvision Cameras on EBay or something. They have built in SD slots and some are wifi. With some cool non hikvision apps, you can even stream live footage on YouTube Live. Finally, I can assure you a Hikvision will last much longer than the Sricam.