camera uninstall and return

unclejohn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I bought these cameras called blink outdoor. It comes with something called sync module 2.
The reason I bought this is because I wanted to be able to read the license plate of anyone that hits and runs.
I installed it and although the picture quality is good overall (I can tell there is a car passing by and even its make and model), I cannot read the license plates, they are too blurry.
In the app I selected "best" video quality and still cannot read the license plates. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? maybe I am not zooming in enough?
I am about to return the cameras but I thought maybe someone here has an idea on how to improve the picture quality.

also I wanted to ask another question. When returning the cameras to the store, how do I know the next owner won't have access to all my data? for example when selling a laptop I will wipe the hard drive. But with this I am not sure how to do that.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a lot to reading license plates. Here's an explanation from @wittaj:

I assume that the camera you bought has a memory card installed. Just eject it and either use a tool to overwrite the data on the card a few times, or you can encrypt it and format it a few times:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah a blink is not going to capture plates. You need the correct focal length for the distance to cover, the ability to set a shutter speed and the camera honor it (a blink and most consumer grade big box store type cameras will not), and a decent angle.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1642810698566.png

A blink will never give you that tight of a field of view unless the car is 4 feet away from the camera LOL. But even then the quality of it isn't going to capture it.

And that is the problem with cloud-based cameras and a return. We have a few posts here were someone bought a cloud-based camera and they are seeing someone else's cameras and the camera they bought is still tied to another username.

You have to figure out a way to sign out of the camera so that it isn't associated with your account.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I bought these cameras called blink outdoor. It comes with something called sync module 2.
The reason I bought this is because I wanted to be able to read the license plate of anyone that hits and runs.
I installed it and although the picture quality is good overall (I can tell there is a car passing by and even its make and model), I cannot read the license plates, they are too blurry.
In the app I selected "best" video quality and still cannot read the license plates. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? maybe I am not zooming in enough?
I am about to return the cameras but I thought maybe someone here has an idea on how to improve the picture quality.

also I wanted to ask another question. When returning the cameras to the store, how do I know the next owner won't have access to all my data? for example when selling a laptop I will wipe the hard drive. But with this I am not sure how to do that.
Welcome @unclejohn

Blink Outdoor, iirc those are cloud dependent cameras, so video clips should be stored at Jeff Bezos house ... ( Amazon Cloud ) ..

In general, most consumer grade wifi cloud dependent cameras have wide FOVs and thus a very short "range" for clear image capture, as well as issues with quality image capture ..

If you want better image captures you will need to get better cameras than more consumer kits have ..

Reaction score
1652303105948.png

Here is another thread on beginning LPR.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Forget wireless, forget consumer.

If you want a decent picture nevermind to LPR you need a professional wired setup using cameras most commonly from Hikvision or Dahua, and even then you need to pick models carefully for your application.

The cheapest but not the best route is eg a Dahua / Hik NVR with 2 cameras - 1 general, 1 LPR on POE cable. Most on here use Dahua so you may getter better support from that route.

Sorry to shatter your dreams but non of the wireless consumer cameras are going to achieve what you want, (LPR) no matter which brand.