Camera video flickering

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a pair of DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cameras powered by PoE (cat 5e, ~50 feet). Occasionally, they will start to glitch, where the video looks like it flickers slightly and pixels seem to shift around, just enough to trigger an event on my recording software (Synology), causing my recording to be filled with lots of events even when nothing is happening. I would love to know how to stop it if anyone has suggestions. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, please see the attached video and settings - note the pixels and picture seems to slightly shift every ~1 second.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
see the attached video and settings - note the pixels and picture seems to slightly shift every ~1 second.
That video looks normal enough to me, for the settings.
Arguably the bitrate could go higher for a 4MP sensor using h.264
There is some slight i-frame visibility (matching the 20fps and onec per 20 frames setting), but nothing excessive.

If you are using the Synology motion detection (as opposed to in-camera motion detection) and the sensitivity is set high, and the area isn't excluded, then the leaves and plants moving in the breeze could trigger a motion event.

If you are using Synology SS - does it support Hikvision 'Smart events' (intrusion detection / line crossing detection) ?
If so - that would almost entirely eliminate unwanted triggers on that scene.

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am using Synology's event detection, but I'm pretty sure it's the weird pixel shift every second since the non-event portions of the video don't have that pixel problem. Is that related to the I-Frame? My framerate is 15fps on the camera, 15fps in Synology (not sure if that matters), and the I-frame is 15. Should I try something different?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you'd get a better result using the in-camera event generation.
Either that or you need to increase the bitrate.

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suspect you'd get a better result using the in-camera event generation.
Either that or you need to increase the bitrate.
The max bitrate is the highest setting, but I'm also using variable bitrate. Should I switch to constant?