Camera video lag

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys what are some factors that contribute to lag or delay in video? I noticed that cameras get very slow in low light conditions also.

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera, what model number ?
How are you looking at the feed ? What application ?
Are you using wifi or hardwired ?
Are you local or remote ?
how do you know it is lagging ?
Frame rate , Iframe value, vbr or cbr, max bit rate ?

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there sorry for leaving out so many important variables.

The one camera is a hikvision IP 1.0 (from 2012?)
Its a 4mp camera. I know it is older, but it has also happened with reolink 5mp (I know) amcrest (I know) and even some of the nicer dahua turrest.

The cameras are hard wired.
The reason i know there is a delay is because I either go out a watch the feed via a wifi device or I ask my wife to go test.

They are set at 15fps / variable bit rate / max allowances I can set. (Maybe not the right approach?) I frame I usually set twice the fps.

I experience the slight delay both via the webpage or through my NVR (synology)
Sometimes the delay is more than 1.5 seconds.

Does the NVR play a primary role, or is it the performance of the camera that dictates these factors?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there sorry for leaving out so many important variables.

The one camera is a hikvision IP 1.0 (from 2012?)
Its a 4mp camera. I know it is older, but it has also happened with reolink 5mp (I know) amcrest (I know) and even some of the nicer dahua turrest.

The cameras are hard wired.
The reason i know there is a delay is because I either go out a watch the feed via a wifi device or I ask my wife to go test.

They are set at 15fps / variable bit rate / max allowances I can set. (Maybe not the right approach?) I frame I usually set twice the fps.

I experience the slight delay both via the webpage or through my NVR (synology)
Sometimes the delay is more than 1.5 seconds.

Does the NVR play a primary role, or is it the performance of the camera that dictates these factors?
Hi FoxCR - delay is not unusual

Camera needs to encode H.264/265 -> send to NVR _> NVR records to HDD and also decodes to display

Depending on the processing power of the camera and nvr you can expect some delay - lower powered systems and higher res you'll notice more of a delay.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to be re-doing my NVR this weekend with a new WD purple drive and adding more ram to the NVR/NAS unit. That should help, I am starting to understand why many of the folks here like to use PC based NVRs as opposed to packaged systems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does adding a POE switch add lag to the video signal?

Does using Cat 6a reduce lag time compared to cat5 ?
The poe switch will not introduce lag. Sometimes a router can cause lag and therefor if you are using a poe switch, plug the nvr/pc into the same switch or a switch cascading from it so that it doesnt pass the router.
The cable type one matter. Generally the lag is about 1 second or less. Its irrelevant.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am going to connect my nvr to the switch that has the cameras connected it to them as you mention. I currently have it connected to the router, maybe that is slowing things down since its negotiating internet and other traffic. Thanks for the good feedback.

intention

n3wb
Reaction score
The poe switch will not introduce lag. Sometimes a router can cause lag and therefor if you are using a poe switch, plug the nvr/pc into the same switch or a switch cascading from it so that it doesnt pass the router.
The cable type one matter. Generally the lag is about 1 second or less. Its irrelevant.
Hi, and thanks for the reply. So if I am to understand correctly, the nvr/pc/cameras should all plug into the poe switch, and then the poe switch plugs into the router?

So the poe switch becomes the connection hub for all devices (cameras, pc's, nvr), and is also the internet access hub for all of these devices?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the reply. So if I am to understand correctly, the nvr/pc/cameras should all plug into the poe switch, and then the poe switch plugs into the router?

So the poe switch becomes the connection hub for all devices (cameras, pc's, nvr), and is also the internet access hub for all of these devices?
Yes. But to clarify you can plug a regular pc anywhere, I was referring to using a pc with a VMS as the NVR - you want to plug that one into the same switch.

intention

n3wb
Reaction score
I see. We have to run a cat 6a wire for our pc anyway, so this hub would make a good internet distribution point for the PC, and the nvr, and the cameras can plug into it also.

I am just learning about poe switches.

I read where you recommend a managed Poe switch. What is that, and how would that work for this application?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see. We have to run a cat 6a wire for our pc anyway, so this hub would make a good internet distribution point for the PC, and the nvr, and the cameras can plug into it also.

I am just learning about poe switches.

I read where you recommend a managed Poe switch. What is that, and how would that work for this application?

Thanks.
A managed switch allows much greater control over the operation of the switch. You can log into the switch using its ip address, reboot a camera by toggling the poe power, without actually being there. You can also use it to create VLANS to segregate your network. It requires a bit more tinkering and learning on your end.

intention

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. I still have much to learn before I can decide what type of cameras and nvr setup to get.

The reason I asked about Poe and video lag time is that I read somewhere that each poe switch adds about 1 second of video lag time. So I wondered about how to set up a system to keep lag to a minimum, and how to calculate lag time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I asked about Poe and video lag time is that I read somewhere that each poe switch adds about 1 second of video lag time. So I wondered about how to set up a system to keep lag to a minimum, and how to calculate lag time.
That is not correct. Dont worry about it.