Camera Viewing Options on latest Windows 10 build

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
I have run into an issue with viewing cameras on a reception PC. I need to find a way to view the cameras. Due to staff computer literacy, I don't want to use the web interface as staff will just keep opening tabs and the computer will end up having multiple streaming pages. I don't think this option is feasible unless I can limit a user to a single log-in session.

The issue I am having with a new pc is:
1. The Windows 10 drivers doesn't support OpenGL so Blue Iris Viewer will not work. The driver compatible with Windows 7 does however work. Using Windows 7 is not an option.
2. Blue Iris Companion will not install from the Microsoft Store. It says the latest version of Windows 10 is not supported. Anyone know why?
3. I don't want to use the web access as staff will just keep opening a new tab everytime they need to check the cameras. Computer literacy is low. Is there a way I can limit the streaming to that user or IP address to a single stream and to stop any existing streams?
4. Or another alternative for Windows 10?

Thanks!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have run into an issue with viewing cameras on a reception PC. I need to find a way to view the cameras. Due to staff computer literacy, I don't want to use the web interface as staff will just keep opening tabs and the computer will end up having multiple streaming pages. I don't think this option is feasible unless I can limit a user to a single log-in session.

The issue I am having with a new pc is:
1. The Windows 10 drivers doesn't support OpenGL so Blue Iris Viewer will not work. The driver compatible with Windows 7 does however work. Using Windows 7 is not an option.
2. Blue Iris Companion will not install from the Microsoft Store. It says the latest version of Windows 10 is not supported. Anyone know why?
3. I don't want to use the web access as staff will just keep opening a new tab everytime they need to check the cameras. Computer literacy is low. Is there a way I can limit the streaming to that user or IP address to a single stream and to stop any existing streams?
4. Or another alternative for Windows 10?

Thanks!
Maybe I’m not understanding the obvious here? This would be solved by using a dedicated monitor with the video feed needed to be seen - no?

Going this route there’s no interaction from the end user required.

The money and time to run cable and hardware is going to save all the hair on your head break fixing low IQ people!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about VLC?

You could create a desktop shortcut to run a batch (.bat) file and run VLC to open a RSTP stream from the cam, the URL would contain the login credentials for the user, etc. such as the following example batch file that will stream most Dahua cams:

Code:
Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"
VLC can be set to open only one instance in "Tools" => "Preferences" => "Interface" tab, check "Allow only one instance".
You can also go to "Tools" => "Preferences" => "Interface" tab and check "Start in minimal view mode" and click save.

You could further customize the cam viewing window of VLC by window size, view and toolbar options, etc. even use a custom "skin".

NOTE: The URL for RTSP should have 2 slashes after the colon and before the username; the forum software will NOT display 2 in a row after RTSP! :confused:

Last edited:

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had the same issue at a business. They wanted (needed?) several staff to each be able to view a specific subset of cameras at multiple locations. ie: NurseDesk1 = Front Door, Back Door, Courtyard. NurseDesk2 = Front Door, Back Door, Parking Lot. Receptionist Desk = Front Door, Back Door, Parking Lot, Receiving Door. Supervisor1 Desk = Parking Lot, Courtyard, TImeclock1, Timeclock2. Superviosor2 Desk = Parking Lot, Courtyard, Timeclock3, Timeclock4, etc etc.

The camera groups were controlled by Blue Iris user.
I did the 2nd monitor route for each location. For the somewhat tech savvy (or at least trainable) I added a 2nd monitor to their PCs and did a quick tutorial re: opening UI3 via desktop shortcut, logging in using Blue Iris credentials, and how to full screen the interface on the 2nd monitor (or in a few cases 3rd monitors), and how to maximize/minimize a camera stream.
For the less tech savvy I setup an old mini PC or laptop behind the monitor setup to auto-login to Windows using a 'Kiosk' account, auto load UI3 on startup and to auto log in using the user created for that location.
For the less savvy, I never implemented, but toyed around with using a 'dashboard' type system on a touchscreen monitor. It seemed to have a good deal of promise but at the time a large touchscreen monitor was not within the budget.

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I’m not understanding the obvious here? This would be solved by using a dedicated monitor with the video feed needed to be seen - no?

Going this route there’s no interaction from the end user required.

The money and time to run cable and hardware is going to save all the hair on your head break fixing low IQ people!
So there 3 x Blue Iris cameras we use here are too far away in the comms room. Space at reception is limited, to have a dedicated screen is not an option and that will involve another PC, further licenses, lost space etc etc etc. The cameras do not need to be up 100% of the time, only at certain times of the day to check 4 out of our 70 cameras for persons...

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
What about VLC?

You could create a desktop shortcut to run a batch (.bat) file and run VLC to open a RSTP stream from the cam, the URL would contain the login credentials for the user, etc. such as the following example batch file that will stream most Dahua cams:

Code:
Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"
VLC can be set to open only one instance in "Tools" => "Preferences" => "Interface" tab, check "Allow only one instance".
You can also go to "Tools" => "Preferences" => "Interface" tab and check "Start in minimal view mode" and click save.

You could further customize the cam viewing window of VLC by window size, view and toolbar options, etc. even use a custom "skin".

NOTE: The URL for RTSP should have 2 slashes after the colon and before the username; the forum software will NOT display 2 in a row! :confused:
Great idea, I am going to explore this!!!! I actually use VLC on marketing displays with a single instance allowed. So very familar to me. I didn't think of this idea. Is it possible to stream to Blue Iris directly a camera group? So I can view the 4 required cameras?

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
So there 3 x Blue Iris cameras we use here are too far away in the comms room. Space at reception is limited, to have a dedicated screen is not an option and that will involve another PC, further licenses, lost space etc etc etc. The cameras do not need to be up 100% of the time, only at certain times of the day to check 4 out of our 70 cameras for persons...
3 x servers i mean. Have a total of about 70 cameras. Direct-to-disc setup, all streaming appropriately configured on the cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great idea, I am going to explore this!!!! I actually use VLC on marketing displays with a single instance allowed. So very familar to me. I didn't think of this idea. Is it possible to stream to Blue Iris directly a camera group? So I can view the 4 required cameras?
In BI, assign the 4 cams to a group
Create a user in BI.
Config that user to see only that group.
If you log into BI's webserver UI3 (Chrome preferred) with the below URL, it will display only the 4 cams in that group and in full screen:
Code:
http://BI-Server-IP:BI-Server-Port/ui3.htm?group=groupname&maximize=1

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
maybe not as elegant as VLC, but you should also be able to use a shortcut to Chrome.exe and open it as a single page browser, but I don't think it would stop someone from opening 10 instances of it. :(
Create a new chrome shortcut.
Open the properties.
Add " –app=http://BI-Server-IP:BI-Server-Port/ui3.htm?group=groupname&maximize=1" after the contents of the Target box.

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" –app=http://BI-Server-IP:BI-Server-Port/ui3.htm?group=groupname&maximize=1

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. After trying the VLC option via rtsp with a blueiris 5 server. I will upgrade my blueiris 4 servers to support the rtsp feed. As the servers I want to access for the post are still on V4. So this is a great justification for the upgrade. So I will upgrade now and stream via VLC.

Thank you all for your advice and input. I love BlueIris and your help has made it an even better experience.