Camera wiring and mounting best practices

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I now have a Hikvision dome and a Dahua varifocal bullet. They both have what appears to be a common bundle of cables from their base. The base appears to have a hole that the cables pass through and if submerged in water would pass into the head (but I am not sure of that).

What I don’t get is how people tend to mount these to a wall. There seems to be nowhere near enough space to have the bundle of cable under the base mounting plate, especially with the Ethernet connection with its weatherproof fitting. If the base had ½” more height, it could all fit under there with the PoE Ethernet line snaking out the side grove in the base out along the wall etc.

I see three options.

1. Large ugly nema 3R enclosure under the eaves
2. Drill a hole into the wall and snake the Ethernet wire to it (not ideal for several reasons)
3. Buy the proprietary manufactures mounting box to get the needed ½” or more to hide the cable bundle

I get that I can mount it to a big box enclosure (3R) on the outside of my house under the eaves, but in most situations, that seems a bit ugly.

DO most people buy the extra added bases from the manufactures ($20) or just leave the wires out where they look ugly?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did option 2. Bought a big ass masonary drill bit set from harbor freight, and made a hole big enough for the ethernet cable to pass through. Made smaller holes for anchors to mount the camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went #1, Ive got one box that has 2 cameras attached.. and its had 5 different cameras hangging off it.. but no more holes have been added to my house even though they all had different mounts.. If you paint the metal box white to match the camera it looks fine IMHO

You can avoid the large hole in the house if you have vynil siding most times by hiding the pigtail behind the siding.. it might buldge depending on siding type but its better than being visible.. you have to water proof them with self sealing tape if any chance of exposure.

Manufacturer Junction boxes are largely if your using external conduit runs, but generic ones can be used.. I like mounting bullets off the side of a junction box.