Camera wiring question, powerline, poe

vision

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a house a couple years old and want to install some cameras. Running cat6 from each camera location to a central point isn't really possible.

Is this idea foolish to do:

At each camera location outside punch a hole just through the outside wall and drop a cat6 cable down on the opposite side of stud that an electrical outlet is located.

Inside the house cutout and install a wall mounted network jack and connect it to the dropped cable from outside.

At the outlet plugin a Poweline adapter with POE and connect to the network wall socket with a short cable.

Attach camera to house and connect cat6 cable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure your house can handle PowerLine decently first, some can.. many cant.

How many cameras are you planning, nothing scales like hardwired ethernet to a PoE switch..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
very foolish...hire someone to run proper cable it is possible...you will have constant issues otherwise. The frustration is not worth it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the money you'd blow on homeplug adapters would go a long way towards paying somebody to install ethernet properly.

You also may want to rethink some of the locations you think you want cameras if getting wire there really is difficult / ugly. You're better off with fewer good cameras than a bunch of crappy cameras.

vision

n3wb
Reaction score
The house can handle powerline just fine, averaging around 30-40 mbps at each location.

The adaptors cost $210 total

I used to have a system that was hardwired and worked flawlessly, this house however has no attic nor basement and running conduit outside is out of the question.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The house can handle powerline just fine, averaging around 30-40 mbps at each location.

The adaptors cost $210 total

I used to have a system that was hardwired and worked flawlessly, this house however has no attic nor basement and running conduit outside is out of the question.
power line is a bus topology, bandwidth is shared (like token ring).

If you test each location 1 at a time you'll get about the same throughput, if you're running data through them all at once divide by the number of adapters. Your 30-40mbps is only enough to handle 3-4 cameras TOTAL. Video is also very sensitive to latency. If you'd used the newer homeplug adapters with a ground prong you'd probably get more throughput.

Powerline adapters don't always play nice with arc fault breakers in newer homes

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
also be prepared for that 30-40mbps to drop to a crawl when someone has a Vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, space heater, etc running.. they are less prone to external interference than WiFi; but they are still prone to external interference.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No attic seems unusual to me especially on modern construction, but I suppose it could be vaulted ceilings and spray foam insulation. Tell us more about your house (architectural style, number of floors, country/state, photos, blueprints, etc) there may be ways to run cables that you haven't considered.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can usually run Ethernet cable under crown or base molding. You were probably looking to spruce up a couple of rooms anyway :). I agree with the negative points about EN over power.