Camera with good low light performance

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for a camera with very good low light performance without the need for IR, since it will need to film through a glass. I want it to be able to record video 24/7 and store it on a NAS.
I should be able to use IR lightning, since I may be able to install external lightning.

I already have a Hikvidion DS-2CD2432F-I for another project and I'm very happy with the video quality. However, I also very unhappy with the software on the camera. I won't buy another Hikvision (unless they've actually started making good software).

Any advice?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out the Dahua sub-forum here for the Starlight models. They use the Sony Starvis sensor, which is larger than most (1/2.8"), which makes a huge difference in low-light conditions.

The IPC-HWD5231R-Z turret (which has a huuuuuuuuge review thread here) is especially popular. It kicks ass in low-light, and it's varifocal, so you can zoom the lens in to precisely where you need it -- you're not stuck ordering order a stock lens (like 2.8mm, 4mm, 6mm) etc and hoping it gets exactly what you need. I'd really suggest taking a few minutes to fly through its thread, just looking at the videos and images folks have uploaded. I recorded this camera through glass for a few days until I had time to install it outside. It did pretty good inside like that. There was some reflection from bright street lights (which I never tried to tune out), but the picture overall was quite usable.

Hikvision just released two cameras with the same Sony sensor. Some folks here have ordered them from AliExpress, and I think they're set to receive them this Friday. So expect reviews for them sometime after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: thr

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
The Dahua looks really nice, but I can't seem to find it here. Overall Dahuas seem to be a bit pricey too (about $200-300). My max is about $150.

Do you know the model of the new Hikvision?
Is it 42pcs IR LED 2.8 12mm Varifocal Outdoor Full HD1080P SONY IMX323 Onvif IP Camera with IEEE802.3af PoE Support ANTS and Hikvision-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group ? That uses a Sony sensor at least.

But my main concern is the software. I really don't want the same mess that my current Hikvision has.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By software, are you talking about the web interface on the camera? If so, do you know which firmware version you're running? Hikvision rearranged menus and stuff in one of the firmware levels. Once I got my Hikvision camera setup, I mostly accessed it (to view it) through their computer app (iVMS-4500) and iOS app (iVMS-4200 I think). Never used the web interface much after that.

Here's the thread to the new low-light Hikvisions:
DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera

Here's a thread to a fix-lens Dahua Starlight turret ($129):
Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

And here's a link to that varifocal Dahua Starlight turret ($170 because the lens can be zoomed in/out to the right distance):
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I think all three of those threads have links to Ali stores selling them. The Dahua ones link to Andy's ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) store. He doesn't charge extra for DHL shipping on most of this items and he's been super helpful on the forums here answering all sorts of questions and stuff.

I've never seen the camera in your previous post. Doesn't look like anything I've seen from Hikvision before.

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I'm pretty sure I will end up with one of those!

Yes, by software I mean the firmware and the web interface on the camera. I'm using tinyCam Pro for my daily usage, so no problem there. The problem comes when I try to configure the camera and update the firmware.
I have never been able to setup motion detection (which I've heard suck anyway on Hikvision), recording to NAS etc. The menus are mostly illogical and when you do try to set something you often get a basic error message telling that something is wrong but not exactly what.
When I tried to setup mail through Gmail I realized that the firmware was too old. I couldn't find the correct model on Hikvision's homepage so I wasn't sure that I got the right firmware. And after reading here I was afraid of bricking the camera (or making it chinese only) if I tried to update it with the wrong firmware. I ended up leaving it with the old firmware.

My camera is a DS-2CD2432F-I with firmware V5.2.0 build 140721.