Camera won't display picture in Blue Iris

Jameedon

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my Foscam FI9821W v2 set up with Blue Iris V3 but I can't figure out why it's not working in BI. I can see the live feed of the camera when using a web browser, so doesn't that mean I've got the right configuration? So when I set up BI with the same config the live feed screen is grey and says No Signal. Could the issue be that the resolution or frame rate or format is the wrong setting? I'm using the camera wired and my computer is an i7 with 32GB RAM and running Win7pro, plus the hard drive is a fast SSD. As you can tell I'm not an expert in this field, but I put in 12 hours of reading and trying things over the last 4 days and I'm exhausted. Please help?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my Foscam FI9821W v2 set up with Blue Iris V3 but I can't figure out why it's not working in BI. I can see the live feed of the camera when using a web browser, so doesn't that mean I've got the right configuration? So when I set up BI with the same config the live feed screen is grey and says No Signal. Could the issue be that the resolution or frame rate or format is the wrong setting? I'm using the camera wired and my computer is an i7 with 32GB RAM and running Win7pro, plus the hard drive is a fast SSD. As you can tell I'm not an expert in this field, but I put in 12 hours of reading and trying things over the last 4 days and I'm exhausted. Please help?
Welcome to the forum..what version of BI3 are you running (the last update before BI4 was 3.66)...are you certain you entered the correct ip address and port? have you selected the proper camera from the dropdown?
Post screen shots of your configuration settings in blue iris.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
^^ what he said. It can also help to post screen shots of the camera's network settings in a web browser.

Jameedon

n3wb
Reaction score
Mi have Blue Iris v3.08.03 which I bought on Walmart.com last week, so I thought I was buying v4... I certain that I entered the right IP address and port because once you enter it into BI's configurations it turns into a link that when you click on it takes you to the cameras login screen on a web browser. The camera I have is a Foscam FI8921W v2 so the camera I chose from the drop down menu was Foscam FI89xx/w. Here's a picture of the BI config. Let me know what settings from the network settings you'd like to see.

Should I check the box that says Obtain IP from DHCP or should I enter them manually?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jameedon Since you purchased last week, you should not be running BI3...two options, email the developer and most likely he will give you a key for BI4 for free. http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/
If that doesnt work return BI3 to walmart and buy BI4
in the interim of you wish you can update BI3 to the latest 3.66 with the link found here..
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3393-Blue-Iris-3-66-Update-File

that itself may solve your problem. The camera you selected is the wrong model, you selected 89xx while you haev a 98xx...the option for 98 should appear when you update.

Jameedon

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, you're right, I selected the wrong camera. I'll update and see if that fixes things then I'll get back to you. Thanks for the links.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, you're right, I selected the wrong camera. I'll update and see if that fixes things then I'll get back to you. Thanks for the links.
Make sure to get BI4...BI3 is no longer receiving updates..dont let someone get away with selling you BI3 6 months after BI4 has been released.

Jameedon

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that I installed the BI v3 update my camera is a choice in the drop down menu, so now BI works for me. Plus I sent an email to BI's support to see if they can help me with getting v4 because I don't know if I can return software.

Now that I updated to the latest release of v3 there are a lot of new features and options, so once I'm finished reading through the help document I'm sure I'll have more questions about trigger recording and others stuff.

I noticed that there is a fraction of a second delay in the live feed but I'd like for there to be no delay because I'll be moving the camera out into my observatory and I control all of the astronomy equipment for in my house, so I'd like to be able to have the camera looking over my equipment so I know if there is a problem during a slew so I can stop the scope from moving right away, and having a slight delay could be all the delay needed for something to go majorly wrong and get really expensive. So what setting will help to get to live with no delay?

When I move the camera out to the observatory it'll be 300' away from the computer/router, but I still plan to wire it either with a dedicated CAT6 cable or with a short CAT6 cable (3') to a gigabit switch which will have other devices connected to it also since it's the main network between my house and observatory, but that network uses fiber optics. Will the 300' length of the network cables slow down the delay even more? Which cable would be best, the dedicated CAT6 or the fiber that will already be sending data from other devices?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If the fiber is used for ordinary computer networking, you should send the camera data down it, because fiber is better for long distances like 300' (up to many tens of km depending on the sending and receiving devices) whereas 328 feet or so is the maximum range spec of copper-based ethernet runs.

The distance is not going to introduce additional delay. The delay is caused by buffering times that are unavoidable. If you want to reduce the delay, just about your only option is to use MJPEG video instead of h264, if available. MJPEG is a much, much simpler format that avoids most of the buffering and should have much less delay. The cost is MJPEG uses a lot more bandwidth and does not support an audio stream.

I've seen an option on some PTZ cameras that lets you choose the "streaming fluency" I think they call it. Anyway it controls the length of the video buffer and therefore the length of the video delay, but in some cases it only affects the player embedded in the camera's web interface. I do not know if Foscam cameras possess this option.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jameedon If you cannot get v4 for free absolutely get a refund from walmart. Was this sold by walmart or a third party? regardless the defrauded you. If they wont accept a return file a chargeback with your credit card company.

Jameedon

n3wb
Reaction score
Doing a chargeback won't be necessary because BI support was very helpful and gave me a new key for version 4.