Cameral Locations for front of the house...

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Need help on cam locations to cover the driveway and the front door.
I am thinking bullets for all three locations namely the IPC-T5442TM-ZE.

I have one cat6 cable routed to the north camera location that I will split into three. The outside lights are "shielded" on two sides so I don't think they will interfere with the camera (have to test with a rig before install).

Here is the calculator view: The camera is the 6mm IPC-T5442TM-AS since ipvm doesn't have the ZE model listed yet.
4B1FC1AE-48AD-4A5B-8345-33314E891174_1_105_c.jpeg

Here is the front view and the "planned" camera locations (north, south and door).
4BDDF2E8-6B82-46B9-97EF-8B2B31E95BD4.png 23B7BC7E-81B7-45EF-BEB6-593EE3559AAA_1_105_c.jpeg 33F6874A-F419-47C8-8297-0406A7674241_1_105_c.jpeg AD6B2AC5-0713-416A-AD20-1DEE999B51B1_1_105_c.jpeg

I was planning to route outside rated cat6 cable (no conduit - WAF) along side the inner beam pictured above the camera locations.
The cameras are all around 8' off the ground.

Would the smaller IPC-T5442TM-AS work here?
Any input on the camera locations would helpful.

Thanks,
Dan

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
looks pretty good overall, but i would try to lower the cam by the door (see red dot)

50137484183_4d0ed33d97_b.jpg

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention the driveway slopes downward toward the house, so anybody coming down the driveway will be about 4' above the plane of the camera when they approach the house.CDFD10F5-DF61-46B7-81F9-4CA3D88CF9D0_1_105_c.jpeg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the other cams would get anyone approaching. the door cam is meant to keep an eye on packages and get a good identifiable shot of people at the door.
seeing the top of someone's head is not ideal. but if that's all the WAF will allow, then that's what it is... :)

maybe the green spot is more acceptable? 50137484183_7b0708c8c6_b.jpg

Reaction score
You really should just buy one T5442 varifocal first and test each location out. See if the 6mm will work in locations. Your cam at the garage will be more than 25' to anyone walking up to the door. That probably would be at the edge of the distance to get a good face shot.

Consider that some folks here have had great success painting the cable, conduit, and cams to match their siding. That dark blue would probably do well to hide things. Others have camouflaged it with a welcome sign or birdhouse, etc.

Lower at the door is better. Having a cam that looks at packages, to me, is kind of silly. It's not like they are going to leave on their own. You really want to capture people coming and going. Capturing them bending over and picking up the package is not that helpful.

Check out this thread for more info:

Reaction score
Something else to consider. Most folks here recommend two cams at the garage door pointed in a crossing pattern. If you ever park cars in the driveway, it would be best to do this.

Also, if the front door cam can't be moved lower, then position the one on the right that is past the windows to cove the front door. If you have enough zoom, and the varifocal will, then the angle is such you could get a decent face shot from there. It's really not the height, it is the angle.

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something else to consider. Most folks here recommend two cams at the garage door pointed in a crossing pattern. If you ever park cars in the driveway, it would be best to do this.

Also, if the front door cam can't be moved lower, then position the one on the right that is past the windows to cove the front door. If you have enough zoom, and the varifocal will, then the angle is such you could get a decent face shot from there. It's really not the height, it is the angle.
Thank you this is very helpful and exactly the feedback I was hoping for. I have limited power budget as I only have one Cat6 cable cable coming to the front (no power). I have Ubiquity gear with a 24 port POE switch in the house so I was planning to use the Unify Flex Switch with a 80W POE injector to give me four potential camera locations. I was also thinking about having a camera on the north side facing the street to cover the small walkway on the north end of the driveway (right side on the first pict). So the max number of cameras I can have is four unless you know of a POE powered extender with more than 5 ports that can be mounted outside (or in enclosure). I already have a HP Elitedesk G4 i5 ready to go in the data closet to run BI. The house is on a dead end street so it's not a high traffic area. This is just the front there are other cameras planned around the outside of the house, but I wanted to start small with the front first.

7C5622D1-7DF5-4B17-894B-DE179D2132D6_1_105_c.jpeg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you this is very helpful and exactly the feedback I was hoping for. I have limited power budget as I only have one Cat6 cable cable coming to the front (no power). I have Ubiquity gear with a 24 port POE switch in the house so I was planning to use the Unify Flex Switch with a 80W POE injector to give me four potential camera locations. I was also thinking about having a camera on the north side facing the street to cover the small walkway on the north end of the driveway (right side on the first pict). So the max number of cameras I can have is four unless you know of a POE powered extender with more than 5 ports that can be mounted outside (or in enclosure). I already have a HP Elitedesk G4 i5 ready to go in the data closet to run BI. The house is on a dead end street so it's not a high traffic area. This is just the front there are other cameras planned around the outside of the house, but I wanted to start small with the front first.

View attachment 66876
Hi @dan2112

Recommend running extra cat6 cables while you are doing your runs... N+1 to each location you are considering.

During these times when people are wearing masks you will need better chances at getting a good facial ID image as well as image of any car used.

Definitely test your setup with a friend wearing a hoodie and cap acting as a prowler...

Here is an example of what members have been seeing during these times:

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @dan2112

Recommend running extra cat6 cables while you are doing your runs... N+1 to each location you are considering.

During these times when people are wearing masks you will need better chances at getting a good facial ID image as well as image of any car used.

Definitely test your setup with a friend wearing a hoodie and cap acting as a prowler...

Here is an example of what members have been seeing during these times:
Yeah lesson learned on the cable to the front. Unfortunately I can't change it. Other cables in the house run under the house and I can install a splitters there as the runs to the data closet where done when I was out of town. I said two runs and got one and by the time I caught it the walls where up and painted and I didn't want to tear the wall apart to "fix" it. They fessed up to the error - but damage done. The data aspect of the remodel was one CF.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah lesson learned on the cable to the front. Unfortunately I can't change it. Other cables in the house run under the house and I can install a splitters there as the runs to the data closet where done when I was out of town. I said two runs and got one and by the time I caught it the walls where up and painted and I didn't want to tear the wall apart to "fix" it. They fessed up to the error - but damage done. The data aspect of the remodel was one CF.
That's my experience with a lot of contractors... you need to check on the work each night / day... seen a lot of bone heads, even sometimes the owner of a subcontracting company.

At this point, I'd rather do a lot of the work myself...

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the other cams would get anyone approaching. the door cam is meant to keep an eye on packages and get a good identifiable shot of people at the door.
seeing the top of someone's head is not ideal. but if that's all the WAF will allow, then that's what it is... :)

maybe the green spot is more acceptable? View attachment 66851
So after discussions with the wife she agreed with a location between the red and green dots, but (there's always a but) the camera can't be an eyesore / ugly. I showed her the turret, but the base plus the turret may stick out too far for her liking. Is there a "lower" profile camera then when mounted doesn't stick out as much as a turret. I would think a high quality 2MP camera would do it. Maybe a wedge camera?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So after discussions with the wife she agreed with a location between the red and green dots, but (there's always a but) the camera can't be an eyesore / ugly. I showed her the turret, but the base plus the turret may stick out too far for her liking. Is there a "lower" profile camera then when mounted doesn't stick out as much as a turret. I would think a high quality 2MP camera would do it. Maybe a wedge camera?
hint: paint is your friend..

Reaction score
but the base plus the turret may stick out too far for her liking.
No matter what cam you get, turret or wedge, you have to protect the connection from rain. That is why the mounting box. How are you going to get the cable to the cam? If it is coming from behind the siding, then you could just mount the turret w/o a box, waterproof the connection as usual, and then stuff it behind the siding and seal that hole. Again, painting the cam the color of your siding is a real option.

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No matter what cam you get, turret or wedge, you have to protect the connection from rain. That is why the mounting box. How are you going to get the cable to the cam? If it is coming from behind the siding, then you could just mount the turret w/o a box, waterproof the connection as usual, and then stuff it behind the siding and seal that hole. Again, painting the cam the color of your siding is a real option.

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You quoted me but did not write anything. Is there a question?
Strange - I closed the browser page before I finished writing the response.

Here is the new location:
11B4C8F4-4B6B-45D7-9746-9CCBAAF99C51_1_105_c.jpeg

I can route the cable up the "window side" and yes I will be using a mounting box. I think my wife was just concerned about a the size of the turret sticking out. She is used to seeing dome style and she hates the bullets.

D69A63A6-08AF-4108-86F2-FC51A4426C15_1_105_c.jpeg. C1F06D86-DACC-42D2-AA3D-E56CB7722B24_1_105_c.jpeg

I think it's time to order a varifocal and start playing.